Nine

Greyson Gothel grew up on the Isle. He had stolen, made people cry, made other's lives miserable. It always brought him joy. So what had changed in the past 24 hours? Why was he not happy?

'It's this place...' He thought as he paced down several hallways. 'It's changing me. I can't have that. I'm rotten to the core. I'm a VK. I'm evil.' Suddenly, he heard footsteps and glanced up. Raelynn was on the other side of the hallway, her face wet with tears. He felt a pang of guilt... 'Stop it,' he thought. 'Guilt makes you weak.' He glanced at the brunette before going on his way.

Raelynn didn't even notice Greyson. She slowly opened the door to her room and closed it behind her. As soon as she saw Cecilia, tears spilled down her cheeks once again.

"Rae!" Ceci exclaimed, rushing towards her friend and hugging her. "I am so so so sorry this happened. You don't deserve any of this."

"It's not your fault." Rae hugged her friend back, sniffling. "I'm going home."

"WHAT??? Why?? No my best friend cannot leave school. How am I supposed to get through exams without you?" Ceci cried.

"C I'm only going until Tuesday, don't worry." Rae laughed a little, wiping her eyes. "It's two days then I'll be back."

"Oh," she said quietly. "I thought you were leaving forever."

"I couldn't leave you forever, silly." Rae hugged Ceci tighter.

"Aww, love you too." Ceci replied. Rae rolled her eyes slightly.

"Have you seen Zivon by the way?" She asked the blonde.

"Yep, somewhere in that pile of clothes you have." Ceci nodded. Rae knelt down by her pile of clothes.

"Zivon..." she said softly, lifting up a shirt and revealing the chameleon. She gently placed her hand down and he leaped into her palm. "You know, I thought Carlos was my friend." She sighed, stroking Zivon's chin.

"You think he might've been telling the truth?" Ceci asked carefully. "It isn't like him to do this."

"He's a VK at heart, C." Rae looked up at the blonde. "It's his inner villain... not the Carlos we know. There's no way it could have been anyone else, all signs point to him." she explained. There was a silence.

"When is your mom coming?" asked Cecilia, changing the subject.

"I don't know... tomorrow I think." Rae said, standing up after Zivon had crawled onto her shoulder. She sat down on her bed. Suddenly, there was a knock on the window.

"RAELYNN!" shouted a very excited Rapunzel from outside. This made Rae jump as she looked to the window to see her mother there.

"Mom?! What are you doing?" she quickly went over to the window and opened it. "WHY the window? How did you even get up here?" Rapunzel jumped in the window.

"I came as soon as I got the call. You ok baby?" she asked her daughter, giving her a hug. Raelynn hugged her mother tightly and said nothing, just starting to cry again. "Shhh baby it's ok. Let's go home." Rapunzel said soothingly. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too mom..." Rae mumbled into her mother's shoulder. "A lot has happened..."

"Are you ready to go?" Rapunzel asked.

"I just need to say bye to Cecilia." Rae said, going to her best friend and hugging her. "I'll see you soon."

"See you Monday." Ceci hugged her back.

"Tuesday, C." Rae laughed slightly at her friend's ditziness.

"Oh... right." Ceci nodded.

"See you soon, C." Rae walked over to the door with her mother. "Don't miss me too much!" she called.

"I will!" Ceci responded as Rae and Rapunzel left. 

*

Greyson was sitting on a bench in campus, deep in thought. Just as he was, Raelynn and her mother came out of the building. At that point, Grey stood up and looked at the entrance, suddenly making eye contact with Rapunzel.

"Oh crap..." Rae muttered, seeing Grey. Rapunzel froze.

"Why does he look so familiar.... no."

"Mom... let's just go..." Rae mumbled.

"Rae... tell me that isn't..." Rapunzel started. Grey, hearing that little exchange, turned around and left really quickly.

"I..." Rae tried to think of something to say. "I have no idea who that is. Never seen him before..." she lied.

"Raelynn. Don't lie to me. Who is he?" Rapunzel asked, her tone harsher than Rae had ever heard her. Rae's eyes widened at this sudden hostility of her mother. She sighed a little.

"Greyson Gothel..." she muttered. "The son of... Mother Gothel." she spat out.

"We're leaving." Rapunzel said coldly and made her way to their car. Raelynn sighed but followed her mother anyway, silently.