20 | Jealousy, Space Bowls, and Some Sunshine

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

20 | Jealousy, Space Bowls, and Some Sunshine

Long chapter ahead!!

***

When the weekend finally came, I was more than happy. Just five days at school was enough to physically and mentally drain me. Also, seeing Max after two years definitely contributed to my exhaustion. I feel mentally drained from his presence - and his cockiness.

My parents both noticed my state and decided to leave me alone for the weekend. Its now Saturday and I spent the whole of the morning sleeping in my comfy bed. I don't need any man, not when I have my bed who will always be here for me.

My mom informed me that they are both going out later today so I'm pondering whether I should invite the gang round or not. The dilemma is that Max will hear about the party because I know Molly is dead set on getting us back together and will come. I don't know if I want him coming to my home. We agreed we are friends but I don't think we are at the 'you can come and hang out at my house' bit yet.

I could always spend time with myself and binge watch something on Netflix. There's a TV show called Money Heist that sounds quite interesting.

Before I can come to a decision, my phone rings. Eagerly, I pick it up and answer, not bothering to check who it is.

"This is Ava speaking, how can I help you?" I answer, my voice sounding a lot higher than I expected.

"Well hello Ava, I know you're going to hate me saying this but the sound of your cheery voice has already made my day a lot better." A deep voice that I recognize greets me on the other side of the line.

Instantly, I straighten my posture at the sound of Max's voice. How did he get my number? Unless someone gave it to him...somebody who has made it her mission to have me back with Max. Molly.

That little minx.

"Max," I sigh, tiredly. "I must say, I shouldn't be surprised that Molly gave you my number. It appears my friends are already plotting against me."

Max snorts on the other side of the line at my statement. His perception of this current situation is very different from mine. Whilst he thinks me having his number is a blessing, I see it as a curse.

"Me? plotting?" Max questions, in a voice of disbelief. "Never. I love you too much to do such things."

Whilst my heart hammers in my chest at his flirting, my brain thinks something very different. He claims he couldn't do something horrendous yet he did - he broke my freaking heart. A big part of me wants to snap at him for saying that but I refrain myself from doing so. We are making some progress towards peace, if I went and blurted out my thoughts, we would move ten steps back.

Oddly, that's something I don't want to happen.

"Whatever you say, Max. So do you want to tell me why you called? Come to harass me again?" I inquire. I'm actually interested as to why he's called me. If it's for a chat, I guess it wouldn't do any harm.

"Well Sunshine," Max clears his throat dramatically. Once again, my heart constricts in my chest at my old nickname. The one he gave me on holiday two years ago. The one I pretended to despise but really loved. "I'm here to ask if you are free later. We can meet up, just the two of us... or we could meet up with your new group of friends?"

And now I'm back to the dilemma.

Do I want to hang out with him alone or with the rest of the gang?