Chapter 5

A few minutes later Normani appears in the room again. She goes to speak, but stops herself and pouts slightly when she spots Camila's current position. Lauren grins as if to say, 'I know' and continues rocking the youngster in her arms, her arms securely wrapped round her small frame.

"The Doctor should be here in about ten minutes" Normani says quietly, waiting for Lauren to nod before leaving again.

Knowing that Camila state of dress wouldn't bother the doctor for the simple fact she had seen it all before, Lauren stays put on her place on the couch. Camila's scolding forehead was still pressed against her neck showing her fever had yet to shift, and her hoarse breathing was showing that as well as a temperature, her nose was beginning to get blocked too.

Before she could really dwell anymore on the girls health, there was a knock on the sliding door. Seconds later a woman appears, dressed in a pair of jeans and a shirt whilst carrying a small bag which was obviously full of medical supplies. She walks into the room and crouches down in front of the two Cubans.

"Hi, I'm doctor Lovato. Is this Camila?" She asks, reaching forward to gently take the younger girls hand.

Lauren nods, "yeah" she confirms, "sorry for calling you on such short notice" she adds apologetically.

The woman grins, "it's really no problem. I think it's best we keep her asleep for this part, just so we don't cause any unnecessary upsets. Can you tell me some of her symptoms?" She asks, unzipping her bag and grabbing a thermometer before gently placing it under the girls armpit.

"Sure. She's had a super high temperature for the majority of the day, ranging from about 100 to 103. She seems to be unable to hold her own body weight up and she's also been complaining of a headache and tummy ache" Lauren explains, watching as the woman pulls the thermometer from Camila's armpit before bringing it up to her face to read.

"We're at 101 now. Have you given her any medication?" The doctor asks, placing the thermometer back into her bag before grabbing a stethoscope. She places the ends in her ears before placing the metal disk to her chest, "her breathing sounds rattly. Has she complained of her chest feeling tight?" She wonders, moving onto her back.

Lauren frowns and shakes her head, "yeah Tylenol but it doesn't seem to have had any affect and no she hasn't. I've noticed her breathing become really hoarse but that's about it" she replies, watching the woman in front of her with wary eyes.

Demi nods, "I'm going to prescribe a short course of antibiotics and I'd like her to take them twice a day for about a week. There doesn't seem to be anything serious wrong but I'd like to be on the safe side. If her symptoms get any worse I'd like you to give me a call, okay?" She states firmly, grabbing a small notepad out of her bag.

Lauren nods and gently shushes the youngster in her arms when she stirs and lets out a quiet whimper.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have any effect as just seconds later she was up and awake. She lets out a quiet whimper and curls close to Lauren's chest, but when she realises someone else was in the room other than the person she was all too familiar with, she freezes and her bottom lip begins to quiver.

"No no, it's okay, you're okay" Lauren says as her eyes widen in panic. A freak out was not on her to do list today. It looks like Camila had different plans as no sooner can she begin to sooth her, she lets out a hoarse sob and tries to squirm away from the stranger in front of her.

"Camila, I'm not here to hurt you sweetheart, I'm here to make you feel better. You want to feel better don't you?" Demi jumps in when she see's Lauren stuck for words, placing the stethoscope back into her bag and reaching for the small notebook she had in there full of blank prescription pages.