Sixteen

"So let me get this straight..." Evie began as she handed a spare gown to Rae as hers was being washed. "Grey not only apologised, something he has done to only one person, but sang and you two almost kissed?!"

"Well... when you put it like that..." Rae muttered, her cheeks still reddening as she changed into the other gown Evie had given her.

"Woah. Grey going for a princess? The one he's meant to hate? Wow." Mal said, leaning against the wall, her arms crossed.

"It's kinda romantic don't you think?" Ceci mused dreamily.

"No!" Rae shook her head. "I'm not going for a star crossed lovers type of thing. This is not good." Rae started pacing back and forth as she spoke.

"Why not?" Evie asked.

"Because I..." Rae paused, sitting on Evie's bed. "My parents... I don't like him. I can't. I have to spend a whole week with him... what am I going to do?" Rae put her head in her hands.

"You're going to do what your heart tells you to do." said Evie gently.

"If only I actually knew what my heart was telling me to do..." Rae sighed.

"I know how it feels, Rae." Mal commented, standing straight. "You just have to follow your heart. It works itself out eventually." she smiled, stepping towards Rae and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you, Mal... but I just don't know." Rae sighed. "It's wrong. I can't... what would my parents even think?"

"Your mom married the criminal that broke into her tower," Ceci pointed out. "Maybe you should ask her what she'd do."

"C, I can't. My mom... she'll ask too many questions. She'll ask who it is... and there's no way. She'd hate me..." tears began to form in Rae's eyes. Cecilia put her hands on Rae's shoulders. "Your mom could never hate you."Rae paused for a moment, looking down at the floor.

"I can't deal with pep talks right now." Rae pushed Ceci's hands away and left the room without another word.

"She's a difficult princess isn't she?" Mal sighed.

"You're telling me!" Ceci exclaimed.

"She's worse than me. And that's saying something." Mal said, looking at the door.