Chapter 35

Ariana got into her black track pants and a black tank top after completing her morning rituals. Just as she pulled on the hem of the tank top, there was a knock on the bathroom door.

"You alright in there?" Jace asked,

"Yea, I'm fine," She rolled her eyes "I'll be out in a minute."

She tied her hair in a ponytail and lifted the ends of her hair to the start of the ponytail and tied it there. Her hair was long and she didn't like the feel of it brushing against her back when she worked out. She then walked out of the bathroom with her crutch supporting her.

Jace was seated on the bed, facing the bathroom and waiting for her. He looked up the second she walked out.
"You took your time."

"Blame the crutch," She said, "Let's go."

Jace got up from the bed and went ahead of her to open the door. He stayed by her side as she descended the stairs and then walked to the gym which was underground.

Another set of stairs to climb. Yay.

"Lose the crutch," Jace said when they got to the gym.

"What?" She snapped her gaze at him, both terrified and excited at the same time.

Terrified that she would realize that she couldn't stand alone without the crutch which would be an indication of how bad the injury was and excited because she wanted to get rid of the crutch and he just offered it to her.

"We're going to start with your balance," He said, "Try standing on both your legs."

Ariana took a deep breath as he waited for her. Then she closed the few inches between her sole and the floor and she swallowed when she felt nothing. It was all numb, no sensation from the knee downwards. She sighed quietly and let go of the crutch when she thought she had found her footing.

Five seconds passed and it felt like a minute as she struggled to keep her weight off her left leg and transfer it to her right, but then she lost balance and Jace was there, hands on her waist, holding her up as she fell to the ground.

She kept her gaze on her leg, not wanting to look at him because it was just too embarrassing for her.

"It's your first time," He said when a moment of silence passed, "There's no rush, just take it one step at a time."

She didn't realize she was clutching onto his shoulders for support till one of his hands left her waist.

"Ready to go again?" He asked,

She swallowed before she nodded.

"Okay," He said as he held both her hands, "Just let go when you're ready."

Ariana shifted her weight from her hands to her legs and tried applying a little pressure on her left foot and then she felt a tingle run from her foot, up her leg.

I can do this.

She took her hands off his shoulders and lasted longer than the previous time and then they did it again and again and again and she got better, sometimes it was the same timing as the previous time but it was something.

They spent over an hour exercising. Training hadn't begun yet because she had to learn how to get back on both her feet before she started with basic training. She felt like a ballet dancer with a sprained ankle working her way back to the top.

"One more." She said when Jace called it quits for the day,

"No more," He said, "You've done enough for the day and it's just the first day, don't wear yourself out."