What We Are Part 2

Recap:

Are you like me, Topher?” I asked quietly, but he flinched as if I had yelled it at the top of my lungs. “Are you a vampire?”

“Yes...” he said quietly.

Now:

“So, what do we do? Do we tell them?” Topher asked, biting his nails, eyebrows scrunched in fear.

“We kind of have to, they can't hurt us anyway. Found out from Tristan that if we die, they die seven days later. No matter what. And something awful happens if we reject them too, but he wouldn't tell me what.” I started chewing my own nails. “The question here really is WHEN do we tell them?”

Topher stood and paced before randomly stopping and and looking confused at me. “Wait, how are your mom and uncle human and you...less so? Do they know? How does that even work out?”

“Well, my dad's...biologically like us, but a homophobic prick, he's where I get it from, I dunno if I'm half-vampire or fully vampiric, we could never work it out, but the blood lust hasn't started yet, I know most Born's get it when they hit puberty, but it still hasn't hit me, past that I have all the regular traits, speed, brains, strength, flexibility...I'm still sensitive to the heat and fire and the sun.”

“I guess they have to exist, you're here, aren't you?” Topher chuckled lightly.

I shrugged helplessly. “W-we should rally them together, maybe in the back yard? That way if they take it badly, we can run.” Topher's whole body went ramrod straight and panic flooded his features.

“They can't take it badly! Jack wouldn't react badly, Zeke, he loves me! We're in love!” I was slightly taken aback by the outburst, seeing as how Topher knew Jack for precisely....five hours? But there it was in his eyes for all to see. I wondered if me being a proverbial mutt made me more resistant to the mating pull or if I was just that stubborn.

Mating was just as rare for vampires anymore as it was for werewolves, mom and dad weren't mates or mom would've kicked me out herself, so beside herself with love for him, and on that same note, she never would've run from him all those times. I wasn't sure if it was the same for wolves, but vampire lure about mating is that it's like every thought in your head and every beat of your heart is forever more dedicated to loving that person. If Jack rejects Topher after finding out what he is, my friend will literally wither away over night, right before my eyes, his heart would die, his soul would forever roam the earth, looking for his tether, but never finding it. I shivered at the thought and looked carefully at Topher, if we did this, he could die, but if we hid it, it would come out, Topher's blood-lust had already awaken and Jack would know what he was the very first time they made love—vampires have to bite their lover to complete the mating process. “Hey, Toph?” I began hesitantly.

“Yeah?” he asked, twirling his hair around his finger, tilting his head unintentionally endearingly.

“I was just wondering...” I picked at my cuticles, my own nervous habit.

“Spit it out, Zeke!”

“I was wondering since you already started drinking blood who your donor is!” I blurted, sounding nearly unintelligible.

“Oh, is that all?”

“Well, da' never really kept one, his was a string of lose women, ya' know? So I kinda had difficulty figuring out what adult vampires are supposed to do...” Topher's eye's softened and he smiled, taking a seat next to me on the bed, crossing his knees primly, smoothing out the fringe of his school skirt.

“Andy Garcia. The boy I brought with me to the beach your first day here?” I nodded, remembering the mild tempered boy, I wondered what he was doing in our little group of misfits, the whole time we were there he more or less stood.