Thirty Two: Scar

[Name] took a deep breath before she started talking.

"I've never been particularly open to other people", she said. Her eyes were locked on the ground. "I just didn't like the idea of having a large group of friends. I believed that a real friendship was something unique, something between two specific people", [Name] stopped for a moment before continuing. "For me, it was Shizuku".

Oikawa recalled the picture of [Name] and a cheerful, black haired girl. They seemed to be happy together, so why was [Name] looking as if she was about to cry?

"We met when when we were ten. She moved in from Tokyo on the spring break before our fourth class of primary school. When she first came to my class, it so happened that I was assigned to be the one to show her around the school. She was smiling all the time, and she seemed to be less stressed than me, even though she was the one who was in the new place. At first, I thought that we were too different to ever become friends, but the more we talked, the more we liked each other. It's not like my first impression was wrong - she really was extremely outgoing and quickly made friends, but somehow when she was with me, we had lots of fun. Eventually we became best friends. I started trusting her, I felt like I can tell her everything", here, [Name]'s voice started shaking.

Oikawa wanted to somehow calm her down, but he realised that leaving her like that would be the best for the moment.

"And one day when I walked into my classroom something was different. Shizuku wasn't there yet, but I could hear some of my classmates whispering at the back of the classroom. It was something like: 'so it's today', 'let's see if she really has guts'. I didn't know what it meant, but somehow I could feel that something was wrong. I sat down at my table and soon Shizuku walked in. Her face was different than usually, she seemed more challenging. Before I even greeted her, she exclaimed that our friendship was over. Then she apologised and explained that she had never really treated me as a friend. It turned out that she spent these couple of months with me only for the sake of some kind of a bet", Oikawa jigged nervously but [Name], who was still looking at the ground, didn't notice this. "She pretended to be my friend because she wanted to show others how cool she was. I knew that my classmates were a little bit jealous because I've always had the best marks, but I've never thought that they would do something like this", [Name]'s voice was slowly breaking. "But I didn't really care about them. It's just... Shizuku was really important to me, and to know that all of this was meaningless was really painful", the girl crouched, trying to hold back the tears.

She felt Oikawa's arms embracing her. She stopped shaking as the boy's warmth overwhelmed her. When she looked up, just a small gap was separating their faces. The girl gasped and turned her head on the side. Her cheeks went red and so did Oikawa's.

"It's the past", Oikawa broke the silence between them. "It's different now".

[Name] turned her head towards him and smiled, a single tear flowing from her eye.

"I want to believe you, Oikawa-san".