Fifteen • Garden

"Maybe one day if you love me, you'll learn to hold on rather than let go," he said before walking away, making me realize that I must have said the wrong thing.

"Wait," I whispered but he didn't stop. Dimitrius continued walking with his head down. No king nor queen should ever bow their heads. Have I affected him too much?

I sprinted towards him but Dimitrius moved faster until I could only see a tiny glimpse of him. Then, I shouted,

"Show me something to hold onto."

His heavy footsteps ceased, silence fell. It was like I could hear my own heartbeat and it was beating like thunder. If there's anything else that I only have left, it's Dimitrius, my family, and Mary.

And then he stopped. He hurriedly stalked his way towards me and asked four simple words that meant everything to me. "Do you trust me?"

Trust. It's something you always have to earn, right? But for some reason, I felt safe and comfortable during that moment. Maybe I do trust him but I just don't admit it to myself.

I didn't know if I could answer him verbally so I did it with actions. My hand raised until it met his chest where his heart is supposed to be. I placed my hand firmly and closed my eyes.

Then, he held out his hand which I gratefully took. "Hold on tight," he said before I felt a huge gush of wind and strong arms holding me in a tight embrace.

When I opened my eyes, all I saw were greens, flowers, trees, and butterflies. The garden is beautiful, it's as if you've just walked in the Garden of God. The sky was blue and among it was the sun shining directly in the scenery.

"Wow," I breathed and unconsciously, I realized that I was walking and taking in everything. This was like peace in a form of a place. Happiness in the form of time. Everything seemed perfect until my eyes realized that this wasn't just any garden.

My eyes landed on names. Amara Jones. Clifford Hunter. Winter Dessin. Brad Griffith. Faith Middleton. These were some of the names I saw.

This paradise is a representation of a tranquil demise. It was a garden of death. "They were the vampires that died serving the prophecy," Dimitrius whispered.

I paid no attention to him when I saw one secluded tombstone. It had one white rose that was tainted with red liquid. On a closer look, I realized that it was blood. The name read, Rosaleen Braxton.

"Who was she?" I asked Dimitrius, pointing to her grave. When he didn't answer me, someone did. "Our sister," Katherine said out of the blue. She came from behind the tree that was beside Rosaleen's tomb.

Both of their faces held a sad and grieving expression. I'm sure that behind their looks was a deep scaring story. Seeing both of them in such a vulnerable state, I sat down on the steps where Dimitrius stood.

Katherine held the tears she was keeping and I said, "Tell me your favorite time with her." That way, I could distract them from their sorrows. I may not know their sister but she sure seemed more than important to the both of them.

No one spoke for like an eternity until Katherine let it all out. She needed someone to cry on and talk to. I may have resented her lies to me but I don't want to be ignorant towards her. After all, helping Katherine has been something that I've done since my brother had her.