twenty five | love it away

Zach has been ghosting me for about 24 hours and I've finally reached my max. Not being able to take his silence any longer I steal the car keys from Dylan's room as begin the drive to Zach's house.

I'm not too sure how this conversation is going to go, he might decide he's tired of my crap and stop talking to me regardless, but I know he deserves the truth.

I spend the ten minute car ride trying to figure out a way to tell Zach that there's been proof to my madness all along, but I come up blank and before I know it I'm pulling into his driveway and ringing his doorbell.

About thirty seconds after I ring the bell little Riley opens the door making me immediately smile. I haven't seen him in what feels like forever and I feel like he's gotten cuter. Just as I'm about to greet him Zach's furious voice echo's through the house halting both Riley and I.

"Riley! What did I say about opening the door for people?!" Zach shouts as he storms towards the door. He's too focused on Riley that he doesn't notice me until he's about five steps away from the door.

Riley starts stuttering about apologies and defending himself because it was just "Lwena" while Zach and I just simply stare at each other. It hasn't been long since we've last seen each other, not at all, but with all of the tension suffocating us it feels as though everything we've worked for is about to burst.

Zach sends Riley to his room with a promise to talk later and ushers me inside. He guides me into his room and tells me to take a seat on his bed. We sit in a tense silence for a solid minute, just taking in each others presence.

I missed his stormy grey eyes, his intoxicating scent, but most of all the security he brings me. When he's around I know that no matter what happens, everything would work out. After a couple more seconds Zach breaks our silence and asks me why I've come.

"I'm sorry." I blurt not knowing how else to start. Zach is currently standing in front of me with his arms crossed in what would look to be an intimidating stance but I know it's his way of protecting himself for what might come.

"Right before you found me that evening I heard some pretty shocking news and it really threw me off. Then I tried to put it off for the night and it all kind of hit me full force in the morning. When you asked me what was wrong I freaked and got defensive because that's what I'm used to and I'm still a work in progress, not because I don't trust you." I rant, not knowing how else to describe the situation without blurting out that I'm probably dying.

"What news?" Zach confusedly asks with worry quickly taking over his face. I go to answer but I just end up opening and closing my mouth without any words coming out. I want to tell him more gently than how I told Dylan, but I'm not too sure how to do that.

"What news, Leena?" Zach says more impatiently with a slight growl to his voice. He's dropped his arms and looks as though he doesn't know what to do with himself anymore.

"I heard my parents talking about my progress and what the doctors have said." I start as I begin playing with my fingers. I look up to see Zach encouraging me to continue with his eyes, causing me to rub my forehead in an attempt to organize my thoughts. "Apparently Dr. Weker told my mom that if this round of chemo doesn't work then there's not much else they can do for me, which also means I might be admitted to the hospital full time."

I meet Zach's eyes to see disbelief written across his features. It's now that I notice that he never actually wrapped his head around that I might not make it. I sigh which gathers his attention and makes his eyes snap to me.

"I really might die Zach, it's fact now." I reiterate, wanting him to know exactly what he's getting involved in. He's still silence and coated in disbelief which forces me to continue. "I'm sorry I lied and if this is too much for you to handle then I understand."

"You're not dying, Lenny." He grits out as he clenches his fists and looks at me with a storm brewing in his eyes. He stalks his way over to me and lifts me up so that I'm standing in front of him and he's holding my arms.

"I'm not leaving you and you're not leaving me, do you understand me?" He says as his eyes fill with so much certainty that it scares me.

"Zach, I can't promise that." I softly say, not wanting to romanticize the situation and give him false hope. "You can't love cancer away." I continue as a stray tear falls from my eye.

"You can try." He whispers with a tortured gaze. "Please try, Lenny." He pleads with features so anguished it breaks my heart.

"Of course, Zach. I'll fight as hard as I can." I promise. Because I will, I have so many people to live for that I could never just give up.

Our moment is almost ruined by Zach's father yelling out that he's taking Riley to the park, but with the amount of electricity buzzing around us right now it barely makes a dent. Zach grabs my hand and brings it up to his mouth as he plants a soft kiss on the back of it.

"I'm sorry you have to go through all of this." He softly says as he brings our hands back down and intertwines them stepping closer to me.

"I'm sorry too." I say just as softly, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere were currently residing in. "I know this isn't ideal."

"My girlfriend having cancer is not ideal, not even fucking close. But having you as my girlfriend it better than ideal, way better."

"Your girlfriend?" I hitch as I stare at him with wide eyes filled with shock as a small, genuine smile takes over his face.

"Of course you're my girlfriend, unless you don't want to be?" Zach answers with a hint of nervousness as he realizes we've never talked about this before.

"Obviously I want to be, but are you sure that's what you want?" I ask, making sure he has an out. I know this isn't easy on him, and it will be even harder on him if I do pass.

"Nothing I'd want more." He answers as he brings me impossibly closer as we both sport giant smiles on our faces.

We meet halfway, kissing as if it's both our first and last time. Things quickly become heated as Zach deepens the kiss and lifts me off the ground so my legs are around his waist.

We continue to kiss as I tug on his hair and bite his lip, causing a groan to escape him as he tosses me on his bed and pounces on me as if there's no other place that he would fit.

Soon enough we become a sweaty mess of tangled limbs and heartfelt compliments, ending our afternoon off with a deepened connection a sense of peace that we haven't felt since our road trip.

He's right, just because we can't love it away doesn't mean we can't try.

----

A/N - Guys!!! 1000 reads I'm shocked! Thank you guys so much, I can honestly say I never expected anybody to read this so this is insane!

I hope you guys enjoyed this cute chapter and please let me know what you think! Also check out my profile for my other works!

Love you all!!