Chapter Thirteen

After I managed to make Jonah stunned in silence, he obediently ate up the food I had ordered for us.

His face told me that he was impressed by the meal or maybe it was just because he was hungry, but we'd never know with Jonah. We spent the rest of the night eating in silence, after I announced that we should meet up again the next day, and we both peacefully agreed on it.

He was still ticked off by me, though, that much I could tell. The silence that hung between us, while honestly bearable, was undoubtedly strained. Every few minutes his hard eyes would fall on me, I would pretend not to notice, and then he would turn away, his jaw ticking. I let myself appear as calm as possible, when all I really wanted to do was beg him not to be so deathly quiet, because it was starting to freak me out.

Around nine, we called it a night. He told me, in a low grunt, that he had an early afternoon shift on Saturdays, so I told him we'd start around two.

Right now, it was one fifty in a peaceful Saturday, and I was lounging at the same table that we both had sat yesterday.

I told him to bring two iced drink this time. He was still busy, though—there was a group of middle school girls who freaking gathered at the counter to order drinks. Why couldn't just one of the girls volunteer to order while the others just sit in silence? Because the barista was Jonah Gibbs, that was why.

I rolled my eyes and munched on my French fries, trying so hard not to let the scowl show. I was so pathetic, getting jealous by a bunch of middle school girls. What the hell had happened to me? Get a grip, Hannah!

Ten minutes later, Jonah came over with a tall glass of ice blended cappuccino with extra whipped cream and caramel syrup (for me) and raspberry mocha (for himself). I almost grinned when I saw what he had made for himself, but he glared at me before I could even let the corners of my lips twitch.

I was impressed, though, because he hadn't gotten me a drink that I disliked so far. He was very, very good at what he did.

We started off the meeting with silence, as we both drowned ourselves into our drinks. Like last time, though, our eyes kept on observing each others' features, as if we were both looking for something in each other. It was weird—and almost comical how we were simultaneously lifting our glasses and staring at each other at the same time.

I spoke first. "So. I'm sorry for the outburst yesterday," I started, because we hadn't brought up our little dispute ever since I stunned him into silence with the seven points that I'd stated, and I really needed him to know that even though I (supposedly) disliked him, I never meant to offend him. Not in that way, anyway, because it would've been low for me. "But trust me, it was never my intention to make you feel inferior towards me or something like that. Or whatever you thought of me."

I sighed, shifting in my seat. His eyes never left me, but I was already looking down at my glass.

"It was just—I mean, it was obvious, right?" I said, lifting my shoulder into a short shrug. "It was more convenient if I ordered you that stupid burger on my name because I won't have to pay for it in the end anyway. And you were hungry and I didn't know when the last time you'd eaten and I don't wanna get the diner's shining new employee pass out on me. I don't know. It's stupid. Whatever."

I was sure that my cheeks had warmed and become pink by now, so I let my head drop, letting my hair fall into my face to shield my cheeks. My eyes trailed the movements of his thumb that was slowly sliding up and down against the glass that he was holding in his right hand.

He cleared his throat. "Why, though?" I looked up and met his eyes with my confused ones. "Why did you... do that. I don't like you. You don't even like me."