Chapter 109

Uday Singh halted at a short distance from the suite and turned to look at Nandini. "How did this happen? How did you find her all of a sudden?" he asked, bewildered.

Sumer Singh and Kadambari too stared at her with burning curiosity.

Wringing her hands, Nandini quietly said, "I wanted to buy – something. So we stopped at a handicrafts exhibition on the way. I thought I might find something nice there..."

Then she proceeded to give a rapid, awkward summary of the incident with the lost child and Sakshi, and then tried to offer a detailed description of the astonishing and intensely moving events that had followed, ending with their departure from the exhibition grounds.

She wanted to sound composed and logical but her eyes welled up and voice quivered as she spoke about Priyamvada.  And the narration was coloured with her own disbelief at the uncanny manner in which events had transpired.

Everyone remained silent until she had completed the shocking tale, though Kadambari gasped at some points. And the suffocating quiet went on for some time as they gazed at her incredulously.

Then Kadambari whispered, "It happened because of you. He found her because of you."

Nandini saw an uneasy awe in Kadambari's eyes, and hot anger spiked through her.

"It was a coincidence, Choti maa," she corrected determinedly. "I didn't have anything to do with it."

"What was on the cloth?" Uday Singh asked, intrigued. "Did you bring it back?"

Nandini nodded, then ruefully said, "It's in the handbag, but I left it in the car."

"We'll ask the guards to bring the bag," Kadambari said, continuing to look at her strangely.

Nandini suddenly recalled her promise to Sakshi and worriedly said, "I'd told Sakshi aunty I would call her up once we reached the palace, and my phone is in the bag too."

"You don't have to talk to anyone," Uday Singh comforted her. "Sumer will do it."

"Yes, Nandini, I will talk to her," Sumer Singh confirmed. "You don't have to worry about anything now. We'll take care of everything."

Nandini smiled tremulously at the elders as a humongous amount of pressure lifted from her chest.

She'd been befuddled and stressed during the journey to the palace, and now she felt profoundly grateful for being back under their shelter. And her age couldn't be used as an excuse for her uselessness. Though Prithvi was only a year older, he would have known exactly what to do if their positions had been reversed.

Uday Singh looked concernedly at the distracted girl in front of him. She seemed dazed and confused, and nearly as shaken as Prithvi. But he was not worried about his great-nephew. Prithvi was extraordinarily tough. He needed time to regroup and tackle the new situation, but the lad would bounce back in no time. Nandini, though, was different. They needed to take care of her.

Uday Singh exchanged a concerned glance with Sumer Singh, and then addressed Nandini.

Nandini came out of her reverie and looked blankly at the elderly man.

"Let's go and wait in that hall," Uday Singh suggested kindly, indicating a room that was close to Priyamvada's suite. "You can have tea and rest awhile."

"I'm fine, grandpa," Nandini replied diffidently. "Would it be okay if I wait outside the room?"

Uday Singh smiled encouragingly. "Of course you can. Sumer, get the guards to place chairs for her and both of you as well near the door."