Chapter 20

"Ms. Rogers, Mr. Jaeger has seen your terms of divorce and decided that he is unable to fulfill your request of handing over full legal custody of your children to you."

Placing his briefcase on the table, Dale opened it and retrieved some papers which he then slid across the table Steven, but Steven directly shifted the papers over to Isabel. Dale couldn't help jerking an eyebrow at that, but looking at the indifferent expression on Steven's face then glancing over at Isabel's face that carried a smile that had yet to meet her eyes while looking over the document, he seemed to understand and suddenly felt pity for Brycen.

He hadn't interacted with Isabel Rogers for even close to two hours, but Dale could see that she was an unrelenting type of woman. If this case was going to be handled by her lawyer, he believed that he could still win Brycen some benefits, but it looked as though she was taking the reins on the matter so he knew he was doomed to fail.

Dale just hoped this great majesty would leave his friend with some shred of pride. The first time when she 'took advantage' of him, the man almost made himself impotent by using some shady chemical procedure. If she slapped him too ruthlessly today and broke his high pride, wouldn't he be too shamed to keep living? Dale couldn't help but to sigh and shake his head internally.

Steven had been warned by Davina beforehand about Isabel's headstrong personality, so he wouldn't dare to think he could make the decision for her. He was here as nothing more than a legal advisor, he could only offer advice; the choice was in the hand of his client, so he didn't care how Dale would look at him for handing over the papers to Isabel.

On the side, Isabel took several minutes to carefully read everything that was on the paper before her and although a small smile continued to hang from her lips as her other hand sifted through Zac's curly hair, her eyes had become dark to the point of looking brown instead of their usual sparkling golden color.

After flipping the last page, Isabel didn't say anything to anyone and only proceeded to remove the staple keeping the several pages together then she picked out a particular sheet and slid it across the table to Brycen.

"All your properties, cars and houses, I don't want any of them. Keep them."

Looking at what appeared to him as a forced smile on Isabel's face, Brycen didn't comment, a silent sneer forming on his face thinking that this woman was really couldn't tell good from bad. He was only offering her this much because whether he liked it or not, she was the mother of his son.

If it wasn't for Kelvin he wouldn't even bother to give her any properties, yet she was saying she didn't want them? She better not come crying to him in the future, because then he wouldn't care.

Isabel didn't even bother trying to figure out Brycen's thoughts as she picked up another sheet of paper and this time the smile on her face widened to the point that her lips parted, revealing the pearly white teeth inside and she even giggled.

Next, she held the page with both hands, her index and thumb rubbing the left and right ears of the top of the paper before in one quick movement, she tore it down the center, shocking the three men.

Steven, Dale and Brycen only stared at the document as Isabel continued to tear it into smaller and smaller and pieces before rolling it into a ball and throwing it over the table to disperse in Brycen's face.

Looking down at the pieces of paper now littering his suit like snow, Brycen's expression became dark and he raised a livid stare at Isabel only to be chilled by the look he saw in her eyes. Those eyes held an almost murderous intent that he honestly didn't have the guts to challenge.

This woman... hadn't she changed too much while he wasn't looking?

"Brycen, I can tolerate a lot of things from you-have tolerated a lot of things-for years; but this," she pointed to the paper pieces scattered across the man, the table, seat and floor then her slender eyebrows drew together, her free hand grasping her glass tightly as if to restrain some kind of impulse before uttering in a low growl that caused the man to shiver.

"You don't fuck with me like this."

Isabel was infuriated and her chest felt like it would explode from the sheer anger she was experiencing.

Isabel wasn't a person who was very good at restraining her emotions; she was used to bursting out with vigor and explicitly displaying her joy and dissatisfaction. She had learned a little endurance from the years of suppression in her last life and she thought that she still had a lot to learn, but dealing with Brycen today showed her that she really and truly had changed from her juvenile ways. At least she hadn't followed through with her thought of smashing the glass across the table on the man's face. She showed great restraint, no?

Breathing deeply, Isabel hugged Zac in her embrace and lowered her head to kiss the little boy's sleeping face, calming down and gathering the will she needed before she faced Brycen again.

"Brycen," raising her head again, Isabel's voice was calm and almost soothing, like the mellow tinkling of crystals. Her eyes were clear and calm as she made contact with Brycen. "This divorce is between me and you, the separation is between me and you, you and I are the ones going our own ways..." she closed her eyes and paused as if to collect herself and when she opened them again, those eyes were burning with ferocity that made Brycen's heart jump in his chest. "Don't you dare think of breaking my children apart."

Kelvin and Phoenix have been together since before they were born, they were twins. She had seen the sonograms of them with their foreheads pressed together, only separated by the thin amnion membrane as though they were extremely eager to meet the other; no matter when she went for an exam the two would never have their backs to each other, she wouldn't allow them to be separated now. This man wanted to take her son away? Split legal custody? He could keep dreaming!

"And as for this..." Isabel picked up another page, dangling it between her index and thumb. "Twenty million? Are you kidding me? Don't you think you're treating me as too much of a child with this amount Brycen?" She threw down the paper in front of him then glanced over at Dale who had silently been observing this whole time. She smirked and reclined in her seat, twisting Zac's curls around her finger.

"Other people in the room may not know, but you and I both know exactly how much I have contributed to Jaeger Corp. I have never staked a claim to what is rightfully mine and I hadn't intended to-ever, but if you keep playing me..."

Brycen paled on hearing those words and at the same time, an inexorable anger rose up in his chest. He could almost taste the metallic flavor rising in his throat.

"Are you threatening me?"

"Don't be ridiculous." Isabel waved her hand as if what Brycen was suggesting was absolutely ludicrous. "But I won't mind threatening you if you continue to be unreasonable. I'm helping you save face here Brycen, don't disregard my goodwill."

Honestly, Isabel didn't care about the money, but she was heeding Mason's words; it could never hurt to have more money.

Isabel turned to Dale: "He didn't agree to my terms and I don't agree to his."

She used the remaining papers from Dale's document to dust some paper pieces off the table then she slightly readjusted Zac in her embrace since her arm was almost falling asleep.

The little boy made a small sound of dissatisfaction at being moved then climbed up to straddle her lap. He rested his head against her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her neck, mumbling lightly as he nuzzled her neck a little then a short while later, his steady sleeper's breath continued, his warm breath brushing against Isabel's neck and lower jaw.

Sure that the little one was now comfortable, Isabel patted his back, resting her chin on his shoulder as she leant her head against his. She continued to speak.

"I don't want to spend any more time on this, let's quickly draft a new agreement and quickly go our own ways. I've wasted enough of my life on this relationship."