T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Kassi

I watched as two Wolves, one of which was my brother, snarling as circled each other.

My heart lodged itself in my throat once again when I saw Ares, the slightly slimmer Wolf, lunge toward the other Wolf with his teeth bared.

Rhys glanced at our friends and cursed

"What's wrong?" I gripped his hand

"A Protector, as far as I know, is a Wolf who is given special abilities in order to protect you. A Protector is usually someone you know and trust"

"Okay.." I said slowly "So that means whoever Ares is fighting is one of my friends?"

I relaxed slightly, knowing that my friends would never intentionally hurt Ares

Rhys winced "Remember how I just said usually..."

I wanted to throw up now

This Wolf this was going to be the death of me

I looked at all the familiar faces of my friends on the porch of Rhys house and noticed that every single person I knew, both old and new faces alike, were standing there.

"So if they're all here..." I looked back at the fighting Wolves "Then who's fighting Ares?"

Rhys winced for the second time "I don't know"

I felt woozy

"How many Protectors are we supposed to have?"

"I thought you only had 6 Protectors" he said "The Twins, Matt, Mia, Everly, and Shawn"

"And you're sure you don't know who this is?"

"Yes..." he started but his was immediately cut off when I heard a whimper.

I snapped back to the fight and noticed that one Wolf was on the floor.

Which one, I wasn't sure since they were so far away from us.

"Rhys..." I whispered, frozen to my spot

"Stay here" he commanded before nodding to Matt and Everly to follow him.

Normally, if anyone tried to "Command" me to do something, I would usually do the opposite of what they told me to do. However, when it came to situations like this, I could barely breathe, let alone think about trying to disobey what he told me.

I watched as all three of them approached the Wolves slowly.

Rhys was at the front with Matt and Everly flanking his sides.

Hands came down on each of my shoulders and I jumped

"He'll be fine" Taylor moved her hands so that they were wrapped around my waist in a side hug

"Yeah" Ethan's voice sounded before he wrapped an arm around my shoulders "He's a tough little dude"

I hugged them both back "I hope so or else I'll be one Protector down"

"It's not the other Wolf's fault either, Kass" Taylor reminded me

I sighed "I know"

Suddenly, the two Wolves shifted and I sagged in relief when I saw that Ares was not the one on the whimpering.

Rhys motioned to the woods at Matt.

Matt nodded before jogging to the direction Rhys pointed at

Everly knelt down next to the other Wolf, asking him something.