CHAPTER 32

The rain came and so did so many ailments, from common cold to pneumonia and lastly the epidemic that has swiftly contributed in the dwindling of residents of Navaria and their neighbouring cities alike. Henrietta had received the letter on Thursday which Miranda had read to her on that fateful evening.

She hadn't been in good relations with her  deceased brother's first wife so imagine the surprise when she was brought a letter and a very desperate one, even though she was blind she could listen and the words she heard  held hidden pleas.

Lady Charlotte had been specific in her letter, she was in need of a good doctor who could heal her husband for he was dying. He had been suffering for eight months and she only got to find out two months ago that he had been infected. She wrote that she had been so unobservant because of related issues which Henrietta was no stranger to, as the missing child is her niece. She ended with a plea that if perhaps by chance she comes across a healer, "send them my way, and I will be internally grateful ".

Henrietta listened as the letter came to an end. She took Miranda's hand as she thanked her.
" No need to thank me Madam Henrietta, it was my pleasure reading to you."

Henrietta smiled and Miranda couldn't help but smile too.  
" Well child, since you have read me the letter I see no point in keeping the story away from you."
Miranda objected, saying that it was a personal family issue but Henrietta reminded her that she was part of the family and therefore she should listen. She gave in.

Henrietta was born on a cold July night, her parents had been delighted to have had her. Years past and her mother kept trying for another child hopefully a son, five years later  Henry was born. Everyone was jubilant. Henry was an heir and therefore he had every training he needed.

Years Past like a bad storm and in one of those terrible year Henrietta lost her sight. She was a sick child, and as such the two brother and sister were inseparable, soon Henrietta was married to Lord Brighton and Henry watched his sister  go away to start her family. Soon enough  their father died in his sleep and Henry became Lord, he was reminded that as a ruler he needed  a lady and so he began the search for a wife.

Months past and finally in a Ball organised by his mother, he  met lady Charlotte. She was an interesting woman and soon enough he found out that he wanted to spend the rest of the night with her in his arms,  dancing under the crystal balls, and thereafter the rest of their lives  together.

Things were looking good for Henry, his wife was heavy with child and no one was as happy as him. Two months to the time of Charlotte's childbirth, Henry was killed in an ambush.
The baby was born and lost,  five years later Charlotte remarried. Henrietta had licked her wounds and till this day she had never forgotten nor forgiven Charlotte.

Miranda sat still as she digested the story, it was a long one with so many twist, anguish, love, pain. Miranda hugged her and left the room quietly, at the time she closed the bedroom door, Henrietta was still sitting in the same exact position.

****

That night Miranda toss from one end to another she couldn't sleep, she woke up several times and pondered on what to do concerning the letter she had read. She felt a need to reach out to this woman and help her, she might have to go against Henrietta's wish but she had to do something, or that poor man would pay the price for a feud that had lasted two decades.

hanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏