CHAPTER 33

It was in the early hours of the next day that Miranda made up her mind, she was going to help Lady Charlotte's dying husband. Lucida was right, it was time for her to face her fears heads on. She remembered Maria and a tear slipped down her soft cheek.

When Henrietta learned about Miranda's motives she advised her to stay away from that family, because all they did was hurt people, Miranda smiled and assured her. "Lady Henrietta, I will certainly stay out of trouble."
So the next day a carriage was prepared for Miranda , she held a crying Belinda and made promises to return the next week.

They watched her as she rode out of the mansion, to begin another mission.

***

   She arrived at Lord Christopher's massive mansion without any incident. Miranda was awed at how big and prosperous his lands looked. At the far end of the land she saw the animals grazing and boy where they large! She concluded then that he was  a very influential man.

Her carriage driver helped her with her baggage and soon she was led into the mansion by a very pleasant servant with a nice accent. Miranda knew she was going to enjoy her stay here, but first things first she needed to see the sick patient.
She excused the nice servant whom had assisted her at the door and asked him to take her to the Lord of the mansion, he had declined, telling her that  Lady Charlotte had ordered him to make her a bath and make sure she ate some food as she must be tired.

The older male servant  didn't look like one who was going to give into any argument Miranda was gently brewing in her mind, so she had quietly behaved and accepted but inwardly  planned to have a quick bath. She  wasn't here for the good food or best treatment, a dying man  needed her attention.

Dinner was amazing, she hadn't seen so much food before and the mere sight of it made her dizzy she felt bad that she had forgotten Henrietta's fine cooking, but she straightened up and had a small portion.
Later that night, she met lord Christopher he looked pale and his eyes were sunken, she adjusted the blanket down to his torso and checked his heartbeat it was quiet in there, for a second fear gripped her until she heard the soft but slow beating of his heart.

   He didn't have much strength left, he was so weak and looked half dead. Miranda mixed an energy drink for him and he gulped it happily, she could tell that he was hanging on to the thin thread of life he had left. Next she mixed her first batch of healing herb, he drank it and in no time he was sound asleep.
She covered his body carefully and left the room.

    As she reached the hall way, she realized that she didn't know whether to go left or right. It was late and she didn't want to startle anyone with her movements, she took the left and walked quietly down the hall, as she moved in the darkness she sighted a figure standing at the balcony, she ncreased her steps, finally someone she could ask for directions!

She approached the person who still hadn't looked at her, "hello, good evening, I am the new healer attending to Lord Christopher, please can you show me the way to my room?"
The woman turned and offered a thin smile, although it was dark Miranda could see that the smile didn't reach her eyes. "Hello healer, I am Lady Charlotte and your room is the other way."

Miranda couldn't hide her amazement, the woman was beautiful and her attire elegant, she thanked her for her kindness and took the hallway back to her room. As she walked she kept turning back and looking at the woman, she didn't ask about her husband's health which many women would have done.

hanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏