Chapter||31

remember to comment and vote for faster updates

love you guys and i hope you enjoy Babysitter!!!

________

It's really hard for me to keep quiet when all I want to do is speak my mind...

We all sat in the dining room. Mr Johnson helped himself to a glass of scotch as the kids ate the pizza that finally arrived.

I was sitting next to Jace, as Mr Johnson and Cal caught up. Cal kept composed as he spoke with his father. I noticed that he wasn't as determined to please him as Jace was.

Hallie, on the other hand, was very distraught. I remember that one night when she told Jace that she didn't want him to be anything like their father, which proved that she was rattled by his presence.

"... I can't decide if I should play varsity lacrosse full time next year," Cal explained to his father, "This year they let me swing back and fourth between varsity and JV, but they're offering to let me be a permanent varsity player."

"Obviously go for varsity, that's a huge honor Calix, my boy," Mr Johnson beamed and ruffled his hair.

I looked over to Hallie again, and noticed that she was on the verge of crying... bed time.

I walked over to her, "It's time for bed Hal, say goodnight to your dad," I announce.

"Goodnight daddy," Hallie mumbled.

"Goodnight princess, sleep tight."

I carried Hallie up the stairs and to her room. "Go brush your teeth Hal" I told her as she waddled over to the bathroom.

When she returned I tucked her in. I walked over to the door and whispered, "Goodnight sweetie."

As I went beck downstairs, I started to hear yelling.

What the hell?

I rushed into the dining room where Mr Johnson was now standing. "You are not aloud to speak to me that way," He boomed at Jace.

"I'm sorry sir," Jace spat out with clenched fists.

"Go ahead and apologize, you piece of shit," Mr Johnson hollered and then left the room and headed towards the front door.

After it slammed, signaling that he had left, Jace, Cal, and I were left in shock staring at each other.

"What happened?" I finally asked.

"Nothing," Jace deadpanned and stormed upstairs.

I looked to Cal with a questioning look.

"Uhh. I don't think I should say..." Cal cringed.

"Cal..." I urged.

"Fine," He sighed, easily caving, "Dad was telling Jace that he isn't capable of staying in a relationship with someone, and that he might as well break up with you already because it won't go anywhere."

"What..." my jaw dropped, "What did Jace say?"

"He told Dad to fuck off, and he said that just because his relationship with my mother didn't last doesn't mean that he can't stay in a committed relationship with you."

"Oh," was all I said.

"Yeah..." He cringed again, "I'm going to go to my room. Goodnight." Cal mumbled.

"Wait, Cal." I called out. "Are you okay?"

"Um, kind of? I don't know. Let's just say this is nothing compared to what dad usually says, so it's all good." He replied.

"Cal, we'll talk about this later, okay? You all shouldn't have to deal with this from your dad, but right now I need to go check on Jace." I said. I felt bad, but Jace needed me right now more than the rest of the Johnson family.

As Cal walked upstairs I was left still in shock...

After a few seconds I shook myself out of my stupor and I walked upstairs as well. Without having to think about it, I went straight to Jace's room.

I tapped on the door and then walked in without waiting for a response.

When I walked in, Jace was laying on his bed with his face in the pillow.

"What?" He mumbled.

"I just came to check on you," I said as I walked over to the bed and sat down.

He didn't say anything else, so I lied down next to him and ran my fingers through his dark hair.

Jace just sighed. "Cal told you, didn't he?" He asked after a few seconds.

I didn't have to answer his question because he already knew the answer.

He lifted his head off of the pillow and laid it in my lap

As I continued to stroke my hand through his hair, I noticed Jace's eyes starting to water. "Hey, it's okay, I'm right here." I cooed and wrapped my arms around him.

After a few minutes, he pulled away from my grasp. "I... I'm sorry," He choked out, " I... I've just b...been holding all of this in."

I reached out to embrace him again."Don't apologize," I whispered as I wiped away a tear off of his cheek. "I'm always here for you Jace."

"I love you, Lex." He mumbled.

"I love you too." I replied softly

I noticed his eyes starting to get heavy, and pretty soon he was asleep.

He felt so fragile in my arms, and that was something I had never experienced from him. Usually Jace was the strongest, and most sturdy person I knew, but not in that moment.

In that moment, I had to be his rock. Maybe he didn't want to talk about everything with me, but I could show him that I'd be there for him until he was ready to talk.