32

Lyra (1)

As we walked up to the main door of the Estate, I yawned probably the tenth time since we got here. And it wasn't that long ago.

"Didn't get much sleep last night?" Beifong asked me.

I shrugged, "Something like that."

Korra cocked a brow at me before turning around and knocking on the door.

I got home late last night thanks to Shin...

Okay, fine. I was the one who wanted to stay out longer. "It's getting late. I should take you home." He'd tell me every hour. When I got home, it felt like by the time I had fallen asleep, I already had to wake up.

The large doors opened by the same butler from yesterday. His smile faded when he saw one of the Councilmen and the Chief of Police.

"Good morning Councilman Tenzin and Chief Beifong." He bowed. "Please, come in."

Without any explanation, the four of us walked in and made our way up the steps. Asami and Mako were at the bottom of the stair case. I didn't make any eye contact with either of them. I kept my head high and faced forward.

When we reached Hiroshi's office doors, Beifong pushed them both open. When we walked in, Hiroshi stood up from his chair. "Oh, councilman Tenzin, Chief Beifong. To what do I owe this honor?"

"You may sit down, Mister Sato. This won't take long." My father said. Hiroshi nodded and sat back down.

"Mister Sato, we just have a few follow up questions for you." Beifont started, however the double doors swung open, making us all turn around.

"My father is innocent!" Asami stomped her way into the room, "Just because we're not benders, doesn't mean we support those awful Equalists!" When she reached Hiroshi's side of the desk that separated him and us, she pouted. I rolled my eyes, Great. We got daddy's little girl over here.

"Equalists?! Is that was this is about?" Hiroshi asked. "I can assure you, I have nothing to do with those radicals."

"Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about Korra!" Mako defended as him and Korra walked over to us.

"Mako, stay out of this." I said. He was taken aback. I'm sure he didn't expect that out of me, but one: I'm tired and grumpy, and 2: this isn't any of his business.

Korra pointed her finger accusingly at Hiroshi, "I overheard you on the phone. You said that Cabbage Corp investigation bought you time and you're getting ready to strike. Explain that!"

Hiroshi laughed, but none of us found this amusing. "This is all just a misunderstanding, resulting from the young Avatar's overactive imagination. My number one competitor was knocked out of the game. It's providing me an opportunity to strike the market with a new line of Sato Mobiles. It's just business."

Good cover up, but not good enough. I looked over at my father and Beifong who were looking at each other. When they faced Hiroshi, I looked over at Mako who frowned at me.

When my father spoke, I turned away from him.

"In order to put all suspicions to rest, might we have a look into your factories and warehouses?"

Asami huffed out of frustration while placing her hands on her hips. I just wanted to tell her that this was just business. But out of respect for my father, I kept my mouth shut.

"If you feel it's necessary, you're welcome to search all of Future Industries."

>>>

We dedicated the rest of our morning and night searching all of Future Industries. And of course, we didn't find anything.