Chapter 12: Flutter

The first time I had met the Imitheos family's Young Miss was when she was five years old. I was being formally introduced to Master Hakoda's family after we had finalized that I was to be one of his few apprentices. As a precursor to my training, I was to teach Young Master Virgil offensive water magic, for he had noticeably been neglecting it in favour of only learning about healing techniques. While convincing (and getting along with) Virgil to learn offensive water magic was easy enough, since all I had to tell him was that broadening his magic experience would be helpful in magic research, it would seem that trying to get along with his younger sister was something that I could not easily do.

"Go on and introduce yourself." Master Hakoda urged with a gentle expression.

With a practised smile, I followed his instruction. "Good afternoon. It is my pleasure to be able to meet and introduce myself to you all. My name is Cain Alvar."

As I introduced myself, the Young Miss stayed half hidden behind her Mother. Her eyes clearly showed distrust and apprehension towards me. As someone who almost always got along with people, especially females, that kind of reaction was surprisingly refreshing. While I did try to strike up a conversation with her, she was incredibly unwilling... And so, our first meeting ended with her having not said a single word to me.

I taught Virgil for a year before I could gain another proper opportunity to meet the Young Miss. Master Hakoda told me on a certain day that he had decided to have me teach the younger girl water magic.

"It would be an honour, but is that truly alright, Master? She is, after all, the heir of the Imitheos family. I do not believe that I am well qualified to teach her." I questioned my Master's decision.

With a knowing smile, he brushed aside my apprehension. "It should be fine. You have taught Virgil well, therefore, having you teach Velloa should be no problem. You should not doubt your own capabilities... In any case, it will only be until your graduation from Yohso Academy, for you will be officially accepted as one of my emissaries once you have finished your academic studies."

With a small bow, I spoke. "I understand, Master. I thank you once again for this honour."

With that, it was established that I would be the Young Miss' magic temporary teacher.

This is unexpected...

I was on my way to the Imitheos Palace's training hall when I had happened upon the Young Miss alone and unaccompanied. Her large cerulean eyes were filled with curiosity as she met my gaze. It had been around a year since I last saw her, and, as expected, she had grown up quite a bit. It had surely been nearly a year when we last met, but for the shy and unsociable young girl to change this much seems rather... odd. As I looked into her clear and curious gaze, there was no sense of apprehension, but rather this sense of maturity thinly veiled by childish innocence. It was nothing like those naïve and quiet eyes that I first gazed at when we first met.

How strange...

With a friendly expression, I greeted her. "Good afternoon, Young Miss. It has been a year since we properly met like this. I wonder if you remember me?"

I saw her tilt her head in thought, moments passed, and she simply shook her head. "I'm sorry. I don't remember." She said with an apologetic expression.

Chuckling, I placed a hand atop her head without much thought. When I had realized what I had done, I braced myself for a negative reaction, but I never got one. Her expression was normal as she stopped my hand from seemingly ruining her hair, but she didn't push me away.