F O U R T E E N

He was staring up at me, his lips parted, his eyes full of apprehension. I could almost read his thoughts. I knew what he was thinking. He thought I was messing with him, he thought I was experimenting, he thought I already regretted it.

"I think I really like you." I blurted out before I could talk myself out of it. I quickly scrambled off of him, giving him space to breathe as I mentally scolded myself for acting so quickly.

He sat up slowly, studying me carefully, "W-What?" He asked quietly.

I groaned, turning to face him, "I...I don't know, you...you make me feel weird, okay?" I rambled. "And happy. I have no idea what this is but I really like it, and I guess that means I...I really like you."

He placed his hand tenderly over mine, his fingertips tracing my knuckles absentmindedly, "I th-think I like you too." He whispered.

It felt like the bubble that had been inflating in my chest and restricting my breathing had popped. I was flooded with an indescribable sensation of happiness as a wide grin tugged its way onto my lips. Before I could stop myself, I grabbed the collar of his jumper and pulled his lips onto mine. I had to muster all my willpower to pull away after merely a couple of seconds, knowing Theodore wasn't just another girl I fucked and then forgot. He chuckled, biting his lip to restrict the spread of his smile.

"So, w-what happens now?" He asked tentatively.

I sighed deeply, "I'm not sure. I mean...it's not like we have to label it, can't we just...be us?" I proposed. "You know...hang out and talk and laugh and...do other stuff." I hinted.

His eyes lit up with that familiar flicker of happiness, "That sounds g-good." He agreed diffidently, "B-But, Luca?"

"Hm?"

"Y-You're straight." He reminded me with a suppressed laugh.

"I guess." I shrugged, "Wanna watch a film?"

He looked ready to agree before his eyes landed on the clock and his face fell in disappointment, "I'm sorry, I-I've got to go, I-I'm meant to be picking up an order of d-dog food." He apologised, hopping off the bed as I followed him back downstairs.

"So, d'you wanna maybe...like, get something to eat sometime?" I offered, opening the front door as he lingered in the doorway.

He rose his brows, "A-Are you asking me on a date?" He teased.

"Not so much a date." I blushed, "More like...you know, hanging out-"

"Yeah." He smiled. "I'll go on a d-date with you."

I nodded in relief, "Theo, I've never been in any sort of relationship before." I confessed. "Like...this...whatever we are, it's new to me."

"M-Me too."

"Just...be patient." I ordered playfully. "Because I have no idea what I'm doing. Am I...am I meant to kiss you now or something?"

He giggled, "W-Would be nice." He joked.

I rolled my eyes, leaning down to peck him on the cheek, "I'll text you."

"B-Bye, Luca."

Once he'd gone, I shut the front door behind me, collapsing against the thick wood, a happy smile spreading across my face. He liked me. I was glad my whole family were at the airport with Rosa, it meant I had the whole house to cheer to as I jogged back upstairs.

But then I realised that I knew nothing about boys. Sure, I was a boy myself, but I couldn't be more different to Theodore. What if I was so used to girls, I completely mess up? What if I don't know how everything's meant to work and make a fool of myself? What if Theodore's more experienced than me?