Chapter 14

"I knew you could sing but... wow," Sage said when I sat back down with a deep red blush on my face.

"Thanks," I smiled, taking a sip of my water to cool my face down.

"There's no doubt you're gonna get into Juliard," he thought aloud a sad expression taking over his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's just that next year we'll be seniors and then after that you're gonna move all the way to New York," he pouted.

"Well where are you gonna go?" I asked.

"I'll figure that out later," he said waving his hand like it was no big deal.

I just nodded my head and looked at the menu to figure out what I wanted.

Spoiler: I ended up getting a grilled cheese. I hadn't had one of those since mom died and I decided now was as good a time as any to have one.

"You eat like a pig,"I giggled when I looked up and saw Sage tearing into his burger.

"And you eat like a mouse," he stated turning back to his burger.

"Well I don't usually eat a lot of food," I shrugged.

I could automatically tell Tino tensed up at my words.

"I forget he doesn't feed you," he mumbled.

"No he feeds me," I began. "It's just I don't come downstairs often unless I'm starving, he gets mad if I don't eat, he says he likes to keep me healthy in case he needs me to preform deeds."

I didn't even realize I was shaking until Tino grabbed my hand and gave me a sympathetic look.

"You wanna take the food and go back to the hotel?" He asked.

"Can we watch a movie too?" I asked.

"Whatever you want," he smiled.

After we got our food boxed up we went back to hotel and began scrolling through Netflix on his laptop. Eventually I convinced him to watch The Kissing Booth with me.

"I don't understand why you would want to watch two people fall in love," he mumbled while I clicked on the movie.

"Because it's adorable and this movie is amazing," I explained placing the laptop on his lap and curling into his side.

He let out one last sigh and wrapped his arm around me tugging me closer to his chest.

"Okay I have to admit, I was kinda good," Sage chuckled once the movie was over.

"Kinda?! That movie was amazing," I argued.

"I'm not one for romance movies but I guess compared to the others I've seen it was pretty amazing," he agreed. "But we have a whole day ahead of us tomorrow so we should get some sleep."

"What are we doing tomorrow?" I asked perking up.

"We can go shopping around Manhattan and Time Square," he suggested.

"Sounds fun," I agreed. "I'll be right back I'm gonna take a shower."

I grabbed some shorts and a t-shirt from my bag and made my way to the bathroom, making sure to take my time in the shower since I never got to take log showers at home. Once the water started to turn cold I got out and put on my clothes.

"You really like my clothes," I heard Sage chuckle and I inwardly groaned when I saw I was once again wearing his shirt.

"You have comfortable clothes," I shrugged jumping into the bed beside him.

After a while I felt his gaze on my face, I looked up from my phone and sure enough he was staring.

"What?" I asked.

"I've never seen you without any makeup on," he stated gently reaching his out out to stroke my face.

I couldn't help but flinch when his fingers brushed over the bruise that covered my cheek and under my eye.

"I know it's ugly," I sighed turning my face away.

"No," he sook his head, taking my face in his hands so I was looking at him. "It shows the world that you're strong, and it makes you that much more extraordinary."

Extraordinary. I thought, softly smiling as I replayed the word in my head. I had been called beautiful many times, but only in situations where it made me feel uncomfortable. Sure my mom had called me beautiful and I rendered it very fondly, but ever since she died dad made sure I only associated the word with pain and shame, so when Sage called me extraordinary instead of beautiful, it made me feel more special than any other word could have.

"No ones ever said anything like that to me before," I whispered.

"I will never understand why," he whispered back slowly beginning to lean in.

Suddenly my emotion changed and I began to panic. For one thing I was confused because I had only ever been kissed forcefully, and now Sage seemed to be waiting for permission to kiss me and I didn't know how to tell him I was okay with it without ruining it, but of course me being me I never got the chance to figure out what to do.

Just as our noses were about to touch I let out a yawn, making him chuckle and lean back to where he was before.

"You're tired," he stated. "We should get some rest."

I didn't say anything. I just laid back onto the bed still shocked at what just happened... well almost happened.

I snapped out of my trance when I felt Sage's arms wrap around me and his lips against my forehead before he turned out the light.

I don't think I've ever slept as peacefully as I did that night.