*Born Again*

!EDITED!

The man dashes to the console and flicks a few switches before checking the monitor. Rose was hiding behind a coral structure, staring at the man in fear and I was standing on the ramp. My arms were wrapped around my waist tightly and I was staring at him with tears running down my face.

"6 pm... Tuesday..." he turns a knob. "October... 5006... on the way to Barcelona!" he straightens and turns to me, beaming and looking rather pleased with himself. "Now then... what do I look like?" he asks, holding up a hand before I answer... not that I could; what's- what just happened? "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, don't tell me! Let's see; two legs, two arms, two hands..." he moves his right hand to his left wrist, rotating it. "Slight weakness in the dorsal tubercle..." he frowns before his hands fly to his hair. "Hair! I'm not bald!" he laughs as he runs his hands through his... admittedly gorgeous hair. "Oh, oh! Big hair!" he beams, moving his fingers down his sideburns. "Sideburns! I've got sideburns!" he exclaims gleefully. "Or really bad skin..." he murmurs. "Little bit thinner, that's weird..." he slaps his stomach. "Give me time, I'll get used to it!" he smiles before pausing, his expression turning to wonder. "I... have got... a mole, I can feel it! Between my shoulder blades, there's a mole!" he rotates his shoulders. "That's alright! Love the mole!" he grins. "Go on, then, tell me!" he straightens. "What do you think?" he asks, sounding a bit hesitant.

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. I don't have to worry, though, since Rose cuts in, "who are you?" she asks quietly.

"Rose!" he moves to Rose. "I'm the Doctor!" he beams and I put a hand to my mouth, stifling a sob.

"No..." Rose shakes her head. "Where is he? Where's the Doctor? What have you done to him!?" she demands, her voice rising.

"You saw me... I- I changed..." he gestures over his shoulder. "Right in front of you..."

"I saw him sort of explode and then you replaced him like a... a teleport or a transmat or a bodyswap or something..." Rose steps forward and pushes his chest, the man rocking back on his heels, looking hurt. "You're not fooling me," she glares. "I've seen all sorts of things; nano-genes, Gelth, Slitheen... oh, my God!" she gasps and he raises his eyebrows. "Are you a Slitheen?"

"I'm not a Slitheen..." he denies calmly.

"Send him back!" Rose yells, getting in his face. "I'm warning you! Send the Doctor back to us right now or I swear-"

"Rose, it's me," he cuts in, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Honestly, it's me! I was dying... to save my own life I changed my body, every single cell but... it's still me..." he explains.

"You can't be," she whispers.

The man turns to me, "Lizzie, tell her!"

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out but a sort of sob, squeaking noise. I can't look him directly in the eye; the way he's looking at me is just like... just like him. The man's face falls as he moves to stand in front of me, "Lizzie, please say you know it's me..." he frowns, reaching out to me.

I take a step back, shaking my head, "I-I-I... but- but you-" I choke out.

The man looks as if he got punched in the gut, "I'll... come back to you..." he whispers, sounding absolutely crushed. "Rose," he moves back over to her. "If it wasn't me, then how would I remember this: very first word I ever said to you? Trapped in that cellar, surrounded by shop window dummies... ooh..." he grins. "Such a long time ago! I took your hand," he takes her hand in his. "I said one word... just one word, I said: run," he whispers.