7| Well, at least you kids still have your clothes on.

A hug is an amazing thing.
It's just the perfect way to show the love we're feeling but can't find the words to say.

Adalynn's POV

I walk into the kitchen and look for something to eat. Chips! I open a bag of barbecue chips but frown when it's upside down. Dumbass. My phone pings with a text.

Loser 😒:

Are you busy?

Very

I'm very busy eating my chips. So it's technically not a lie. The doorbell rings, and I freeze. I'm not expecting anyone.

I slip my phone into my pocket, grab a gun under a side table, and crawl near the window. I peer through the blinds and see Ashton. Maybe he'll go away if no one opens the door? No! Let him in.

I sit on the floor and wait for him to leave. You're annoying. Then all of a sudden, my phone starts ringing loudly. Shit. Why is it off-mute?!

"Lynn, open the door. I know you're home." Ashton says through the door.

I roll my eyes and decline his call. I sigh and get up to open the door. "What do you want? I told you I'm really busy." I say, irritated.

"Right..." He says, staring at me, amused. He walks in without being welcomed, and I scoff.

"Make yourself at home," I murmur to myself.

"So you were busy eating chips?" He asks, taking a few chips from the bag.

I gasp and say, "Bitch! I was eating those." I glare at him, and he winks at me.

"So, what's up?" I ask curiously.

"Can't I just see my friend outside of school?" He asks. Aww, he actually wants to be your friend! Now we move on to the next stage. What? More than friends, duh! Sigh.

I raise an eyebrow and ask, "Why would I want to see you outside of school? I already see you enough as it is."

"My feelings Lynn. Right here." He says, pointing at his heart. I try to hide a smile, but he catches on.

"I found out the people threatening us are a new gang. They're called Evanescent, and their only goal is to eliminate both of our gangs." He says.

"What did we ever do to them?" I ask.

"They want to be the most powerful group here. So to do that, they have to take us down." He says.

"Which they won't," I add.

"And it's also good we have an alliance. It'll be easier to take them down together." He says.

"Why do you have a pistol?" He asks, looking at my back.

I'm confused for a second but then say, "Oh, I didn't know who was at the door."

"I could have gotten killed?" He asks, unamused.

"I think you'd give a good fight before I take you down," I say, winking.