•14•Alex•

Alexander was about to go slap Jake for being such an ass to Diana when she turned and ran straight out the house.

If she got herself killed, Alexander's head is what Karter would take in payment.

Right. That was the only reason you ran after her.

Stupid sarcastic conscious.

Alex grabbed the bag that contained the box and ran straight behind her.

Damn. She was fast.

When she finally stopped, Alex stopped at a safe distance behind.
She went and sat in front of the pond and started stone skipping.

Alex smiled. She looked so innocent. So carefree. Just for a second.

She was so lost in thought that she didn't realise when he walked up right beside her.

She had just skipped 8 in a row.

"8 huh? Impressive." He said sitting down beside her.

Alex wasn't surprised when she didn't reply. Her family was just attacked.

She wanted to be left alone. Clearly.
So Alex did what he had to.
Take her mind off it. And definitely, don't leave her alone. He was smart like that.

He grabbed a stone and skipped it absentmindedly. It bounced five times.

"Not bad for the first time?" He asked her.

She pressed her lips together. Before she could get up and leave, he took her hand in his.

He looked straight into her eyes. They were a beautiful caramel brown.

"Diana shade, will you be my date?"
*****

The next few seconds felt like hours to Alexander.
"Uh.. date?" Diana asked. "For what?"

"There is this party that Karter will be attending. A party for all the leaders of, you know, the gangs. Since I am his second man I will be going along with him. I'm supposed to take a date. I usually take Em for stuff like this, but.. uh... if you're willing to come... I would like to take you." He replied.

"Plus you get to see what you're actually a part off." He added.

"Will Karter be okay with this?" She asked.

"After what happened now? No. He won't. He will have my head if anything happens to you." Alex replied. "But if you say Yes, I will protect you with my life."

She just stared at him for a few seconds. And then started laughing.

She had a beautiful laugh. And it was contagious. Alex started chuckling.

"What?" He asked.

"Its just so weird. 18 years of my life I haven't had anyone protect me. Now all of a sudden that's all everyone around me seems to be doing." She said.

Alex realised he was still holding her hand. He dropped it and cleared his throat looking away.

"Excuse me one moment." He said and got up.

He went and sat on a bench in the park and made a call.

Karter picked up on the first ring.

"What?"

"We got the box."

"And?"

"We need transport. Send us a helicopter."