Chapter 7

I watched as another minute ticked away on the clock. I've been sitting here on my bed for about an hour now, waiting. Since Xavier informed me of the plan for today, I had been pondering what would happen since I woke up.

A knock brought me from my thoughts as I made no move to get up. One thing I've learned is that they'll open the door themselves. They don't really do privacy here despite my yearn for it.

Her blonde hair was brushed up into a loose bun, clothed in a relaxed style. The smile on her face was loving as she gazed at me, hands clasped in front of her. "Good morning, dear."

I simply nodded as a hello in response, a little cautious of her as she crept towards my bed. Nothing about her stance screamed danger but it was almost as if my body was programmed to be on high alert at all times.

My form was rigid and unmoving as she lowered her frame onto the mattress, like her son did mere hours ago. She seemed to notice my posture but said nothing, something I was grateful for.

"So. Today we need to do some errands. First, we need to get you some breakfast because from the looks of it you haven't eaten in weeks. Then we will go shopping since you have no clothes with you. How does the mall sound?"

The mention of the mall had me tense as my chest seized with fear, gulping at the idea. I had been once before when buying alcohol for my parents; the usual store I went to had closed early for the day and I had no choice but to look elsewhere. So many people, so many men surrounded me the second I walked through the doors. I went into a panic attack and had to be helped out of the store which only made it worse as a man had contact with my skin.

She noticed my apprehension and softly rested her hand on top of mine. I tried not to flinch considering she seemed nice so far and I didn't want to do anything to ruin that. Until they showed their true colours, I would try to maintain their current ways towards me.

"Hey, it's okay dear. We'll just find you something to borrow." Standing up, the lady brushed over her pants with her hands. Throwing me a warm smile she stated, "Now let's head down for breakfast. I made pancakes!"

The excitement in her voice caused me to smile as I slowly got off the bed. She was quick to the door but waited for me once she got there.

"Don't worry, I've kicked everyone out of the house for today. It'll just be me, you and my ma- husband for breakfast but I believe Xavier is somewhere in the house as well."

I didn't react to her words and she didn't seem to mind. As she opened the door I couldn't help but let out a gasp. This place seemed huge! Just in this hallway alone there had to be almost seven rooms and as she led me to the kitchen, there was many, many more hallways to see, branching off left and right.

I decided to voice my curiosity as we began descending a large staircase. "How many people live here?"

A smile lit up her face as she turned to talk. The surprise was evident in her eyes confirming she didn't expect me to say anything. "A lot, dear. We have close to 200 in here."

My eyes became saucers as she let out a chuckle.

"I know it takes some time to get used to, but don't worry you will."

She turned back around as I began to ponder what she said. How long did they want me here? More importantly what do they want me for?

She motioned for me to sit on the bar stool at the counter as we entered the kitchen. My short frame struggled to get on it as I heard a deep chuckle from behind me.

I turned at the sound that frightened me to see a strong built man, probably in his fifties standing only a few feet away. His face looked tired but nevertheless a smile took over his features as he spotted me.