•2•

I kicked open the door to Ms. Lloyd's class and threw my bag on the ground. She watched me from her desk with her eyebrow raised and I just smiled. I knew I was being ridiculous, but it was just payback for the day before. If she wanted to play hardball, I was ready to play hardball. The class filed in over the course of the next ten minutes and the bell finally sounded. Ms. Lloyd got up from her desk and leaned against it, her arms crossed over her chest in her usual defensive manner.

"Good morning," she greeted. "I'm sure you're all well aware the school year is coming to an end. That means final exams are coming up and you have plenty to study for. Today we'll be looking over our notes from-"

She stopped short when the door flung open and none other than a panting Mystery Girl stumbled inside. Those green eyes searched the room frantically but never landed on me. I wished they would. I wished she would look at me.

"I'm sorry I'm late," she apologized. "I couldn't find the classroom."

"No worries," Ms. Lloyd shrugged. "You must be Lauren."

Lauren. That was her name. It fit her perfectly. It was smooth like her voice and sharp like her eyes. I played it over in my head and couldn't help but imagine how it would sound escaping my lips.

Lauren nodded and allowed the door to shut behind her. Ms. Lloyd hurried behind her desk and pulled out her attendance chart. She scribbled something down on it and scanned the room.

"You can take a seat in the third row back," she instructed.

Lauren started forward with her head low and I watched her as she walked, turning around as she stepped past me and took her seat precisely two desks behind and three to the right of me. Our eyes locked momentarily as she pulled out her notebook but I turned around, biting my lip to contain the playful smirk that was threatening them.

"Anyway, as I was saying," Ms. Lloyd continued, "we'll be looking over our review notes today. Get with your partner from last class and get to-"

"There seems to be an issue," I realized, my hand shooting into the air and cutting her off. "I don't have a partner."

"I'm going to assume that has something to do with the fact that you were keeping Mr. Patterson company for the majority of the period."

"I'm going to assume you're correct," I grinned.

She set her jaw and waved her hand in the air, motioning for the rest of the class to take their positions. She looked over the room when everyone was settled and found her way back to me eventually, pinching the bridge of her nose and clutching her chest.

"I'm so sorry to do this, but Lauren, I'm afraid you'll have to partner up with Camila," she said.

I turned around and smirked at Lauren, poking my tongue out of the corner of my mouth and pumping my eyebrows deviously. She scowled and gathered her belongings, carrying them over to the desk next to me and slumping into the seat. I lifted my desk off the ground and shuffled closer to her, making sure there was no space between the edges. Ms. Lloyd hovered over us and looked down on me.

"Camila, can we try and behave today?" she asked.

"No."

"Would you like to spend another day with the principal?" she threatened.

"Not really," I grimaced. "Actually, I think I've spent so much time with him that he's actually starting to enjoy my company more than he should. Maybe you should check into that."

She rolled her eyes and slapped a stack of index cards on my desk.

"Please don't harass Lauren on her first day," she begged. "I'm sure this is stressful enough as it is."