forty-two

42

VIOLA ANONYMOUS

i figured it out[6:40pm]

i figured it out
[6:40pm]

VIOLA WATCHES FROM THE third row of the bleachers, a small smile shadowing her features as she studies Ben from afar. She memorises the ripples in his arms and the light stubble that paints the lower half of his face. She admires the curl in the front of his hair, a lock falling effortlessly over his forehead. He warms up on one side of the court, sheer concentration masking his emotions and not once softening to anything other than pure determination. Viola feels a tightness in her chest, her heart threatening to leave the cages of her body as she continues to stare and stare and stare.

She doesn't have a single care in the world as she keeps her warm eyes trained on his sturdy figure, his movements fluid and precise, as though it was in his second nature to move like that and each action was just an extension of his own body. She doesn't care that her best friend who is messily shoving handfuls of popcorn into her mouth is probably concerned that her eyes have not once moved from the single spot he stands. She doesn't care because now that she finally sees him, she is so scared that if she looks away, he'll disappear.

Viola's breath hitches in her throat as Ben throws the ball to her brother, lifting the hem of his basketball jersey to wipe the sheen of sweat from his forehead, revealing the toned muscles that lay secret underneath—bubbling a few squeals from the younger teenage girls that sit in the front row.

Benjamin Green walks over to his navy-blue duffel bag sat on the sidelines, rummaging around as he sits on the nearest chair, pulling out a matching blue bottle before taking large gulps of its contents. Viola's heart starts hammering at an unhealthily fast pace as his phone materialises from one of the side compartments, causing Viola to look down at her own.

i figured it out
[read 6:46pm]

Viola holds her breath as his head whips up, scanning the buzzing audience nervously with wide eyes. She doesn't once turn her gaze from his searching expression and when his eyes finally land on the girl he was looking for, all Viola could manage was the simple quirk of her mouth. He stands from his seat slowly, scratching the back of his head as a cheeky smile sets on his soft features. Viola thinks quickly, waving her mobile in the air before unlocking the device and opening his messages.

it's nice to meet you benjamin green
[6:52pm]

personally, i like benny better
[6:52pm]

Viola flickers her gaze back to him, the sweaty boy now smiling down at his phone. She watches the rapid movement of his fingers atop the screen when she feels a light tap on her shoulder, causing her to turn. She furrows her brows, a confused frown forming at the boy that stands in front of her.

"Oh um, hi Eddie." She speaks quickly with a nervous smile before turning back to the basketball court. But when she searches for that familiar bright smile, the one boy who had finally stolen her heart, was gone.

»» ▬▬▬▬▬ ««

yo, fuck eddie