|CHAPTER 5: SCARED TO BE LONELY|

There is always a glimmer in those who have been in the dark.

• • •

"No, I don't think partnering with them is a good idea. They don't exactly have the greatest reputation," Evelyn sipped her coffee, chatting with Jace.

"Yeah, you're probably right."

"I'm always right," she gave him a mischievous glance, and went back to reading over some contracts.

"Paxton is resigning, by the way," Jace shrugged, not affected by the new information.

"I'm moving."

He dropped the bomb on her like its no big deal.

"What? Why? Umm...when?" She snapped, and he smiled sadly.

"We're opening another branch of Double R Enterprises, in Chicago, and that's where I will operate," he explained thoroughly, not missing a single detail, "I'd ask you to come with me, but judging by that huge rock on your finger my guess is you're staying here."

He pointed at her ring, and she nodded with a shy smile.

"Congrats, Eva."

"Thanks, Jace."

"What about that girl you were chasing a few weeks ago?" She decided to speak about his love life instead, and just like that she saw it.

Pain.

His eyes screamed pain.

"She's with someone else." Turning away from her, he walked towards his desk, and sat down, working.

"I'm sorry, Jace."

"Miss Ross?"

"Yes, Tessa?" Evelyn tilted her head to the side, waiting for her secretary to speak through the intercom.

"Mister Stark is on his way up. I told him that I needed to ask for your approva-"

"Oh, no. It's okay really."

"Of course."

With that being said, she stood up, and opened her office door to see him heading straight towards her with a smile on his face.

"Hey, you ready to go yet?" He grinned, seemingly excited to pick out their wedding cake.

"No, I have a meeting in exactly five minutes," she groaned, and he frowned, disappointed.

"Tell you what, I'll go pass some time at the lab while you finish up here. Good deal?" He offered.

"Sure, baby."

They decided, except when she went there to choose the cake a few hours later, he was no where to be found.

***

Stomping her way down to the lab, she ignored the curious stares from her Pepper and Rhodes, and punched in the code of the door.