Chapter 34: Flirtationship

Of course, I just sidestepped it.

The piece of debris came from the top floor so it had a ways to go before it struck me. I jumped out of the way and ran as far as I could from my original spot, not wanting to take a chance and be hit by any of the other remains.

Spitfire seemed confused, stopping a few hundred feet short of me and there he stayed until the sound of the debris on earth rang out.

T-Man meanwhile had stopped halfway through his escape, the smug smile falling from his face. In his distracted state, he failed to notice the police using a stun ray. He spiraled down to the ground and fell into their net. He only began struggling when he landed, although the electric shocks that ran through the wires of the net were quickly able to placate him.

Spitfire landed gently before me, "You really are something."

"Is that an insult or a compliment?"

"Neither. You know this is a really disappointing turn of events." He crossed his arms as he stood over me, "I thought I was going to be this amazing hero, dashing away from the bad guy to save his sidekick but you beat me to it, and you weren't even epic in doing it."

"So I'm your sidekick now?" He reached out his hand to help me up, "Better than damsel in distress. You know I have a boyfriend, right? I know I'm irresistible but this flirtationship has got to stop, I'm a one-man kind of woman."

"So you're admitting we had a relationship?" He leaned in close, "The gossip magazines will be after you for that little comment."

"A little flirty banter a relationship makes not. A flirtationship is a just flirty acquaintanceship in my mind and you're going to have to keep the flirting to a minimum, wouldn't want to make my boyfriend jealous?"

"Would I make your boyfriend jealous?"

"No, you absolutely right. My boyfriend is not the jealous type, especially because he knows about how much I care about him." Definitely not ready to use the L-word in that capacity.

"Are you sure about that?" He asked with a shine in his eye.

"Positive." I turned around and walked off a few steps, leaving Spitfire watching me with his signature smirk. Having just one more thing to say, I turned back momentarily, "Now I've got to go meet my boyfriend back at his car. FYI," Now this is my real dramatic exit, "I was epic."

Murphy was there when I got back to the car, casually leaning against the passenger side door, watching people filter out from disinterest. A few watched me in interest, glancing between Murphy and I as they correctly guessed he was my unnamed boyfriend. And most of them seemed to accept the pairing. I really hope this isn't going to make me more famous.

"Hey you," I cocked my head as Murphy smiled still not looking at me. "You missed all the fun."

"Did I?" He pushed off from the car and opened the door, "Huh, I would have never known anything interesting was happening."

I shrugged, shooting him a knowing smile as I slid into the car. He shut the door behind me and jogged around the front, taking his place in the driver's seat. He took a cursory glance first in his rearview mirror and then the right side mirror before pulling out of his parking spot and into traffic.

It was relatively slow leaving the city, people cleared out as soon as they heard Shadowstar was signing autographs at the Dunkin Donuts on the far side of the town.

"By the way," Murphy turned his gaze to me, "We never finished that conversation we were having before. What did you mean when you said it was worse than you attending my parent's fundraiser."