n i n e t e e n

I woke up to a loud knocking on the door.

"Senator, we've arrived. Come out whenever you're ready," I heard Cody's voice coming from behind the closed door.

"Ok thank you Commander, I'll be out in a minute," I yelled back.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and sat up slowly before making my way to the door.

I fixed my skirts so they didn't look entirely disheveled and turned the doorknob.

Cody and the other three troopers were standing outside, waiting for me.

I smiled at them, trying to be polite.

"Thank you for waiting," I began, "is there any way you could bring me to General Kenobi and Skywalker, Master Yoda said they were hurt and I want to see them."

I hoped my request didn't give away too much information, but I was desperate to see Anakin.

"Of course Senator, we'll go right away," Cody replied.

"Thank you very much Commander, I greatly appreciate it," I bowed slightly to show my gratitude.

He simply nodded his head and turned to go to the cockpit.

**

We arrived rather quickly and I was anxious to see Anakin.

I didn't know how badly he had been injured, but no one said he was dead, so I took it as a good sign.

Cody and his men escorted me inside the medical building and into an elevator.

We reached the floor Obi Wan and Anakin were on and I made my way to the medical droid at the counter.

"I'm here to see General Kenobi and General Skywalker," I fidgeted in my spot, my anxiety getting to me.

The droid looked at the screen and replied to my request.

"It seems General Kenobi was discharged earlier this evening, but General Skywalker is in Room 593, may I ask who you are?"

"Senator Verena Leoet, he's my Jedi protector,"

"Alright, I can give you access, but the troopers must stay here," the droid looked to Cody and his men.

"We'll wait for you here Senator," Cody said to me.

I nodded and followed the droid to Anakin's room.

Room 593

I turned the handle a moment after the droid left, still scared about what would greet me on the other side of the door.

I opened it and looked inside.

Anakin was sleeping on a bed with wires connected to monitors displaying his vital signs.

The sight caused tears to prick at my eyes.

I was both relieved that he was alive and scared that he was hooked up to so many machines.

I went to stand on his right side and immediately noticed that his hand was replaced with a metal one.

I hoped that was the worst of his injuries and I then proceeded to inspect his face for marks.

I smiled at his sleeping figure and brushed his hair out of his face as tears escaped my eyes.

"Oh Anakin," I whispered, tracing his face.

Suddenly his face moved to settle in my hand, taking me by surprise.

"Hey darling," he cracked a smile, still not opening his eyes.