Chapter 22

"You like Batman..."

"No. I love Batman. Actually I am Batman..."

"In another life."

His lips went into a straight line. "No. I live off Batman, okay? If he gets killed off..."

"Part of you will get killed, too," I said I think finishing his sentence. If I did finish it, I might have said the right thing because Axel's brown eyes that were looking at mine flickered with overwhelming devastation. It made me want to step back more. Those kind of eyes made me sick to my stomach. It made me feel even worse that I had said something to make him look like that.

"Sorry," I muttered sympathetically, my voice barely making audio. Axel almost didn't hear it. You would have to be... He cleared his throat and smiled, his full pink lips spreading widely but not separating.

"About what?" He shrugged. "Batman will not be dying anytime soon. It'll be a joke for some director, writer or producer to do something hella dumb like that." He clicked his tongue. "No, I would write them myself." He paused and blinked reluctantly. "And probably take it to court."

I had to blink in surprise. I never knew someone could be so serious about Batman, but hey. Look at me. I was serious about Superman. I don't know about taking someone for court for him though. Or maybe probably would too.

"I also saw," He continued breaking me out of my thoughts. I processed to look at him as he did me. I pulled my arms delicately around myself. I wasn't getting cold or something. I just felt a little chill. I never really had a conversation like this with someone before. Not in my own likings or themselves. "that Superman poster on your bed." When that word slipped off his tongue, I widened my eyes and felt my breath hitch in my throat so painfully that I had to hold a choke back. It hurted so bad it itched to where I started to gently scratch my nails at my throat. "You like him?"

Crap. I thought I could keep that secret, my love for Superman. Especially now knowing Axel liked DC, Marvel and at that, Batman. Did you know how challenging that was for me to watch Batman vs Superman? I was shaking and breathing heavily the whole movie that Gloria had to rub my back to keep me from having an attack or something.

"Y-you s-saw that?" My voice clearing itself between each word making me stutter and stammer at the same time if that was possible. But that was the thing about me. Everything was possible. Yeah, everything else was possible, but something about me was different. You would think I was crazy with a capital C.R.A.Z. and Y.

"Bats see well in the dark," he said simply, shrugging. It took me back on how he said that. He made it sound like he said it all the time. And maybe he did. I heard myself doing a small chuckle.

Wait....whoa...

I swallowed down anything that was thinking on coming out even more. That small chuckle even made my throat ache. It's been so long since I ever made any kinda small laughter like that. My throat was more use to scoffs, sobs and gulps.

"Do they now?" I disobeyed myself and challenged back. I even tightened my arms around myself in a determine arm cross under my chest. My head on it's own tilted.

How on Earth...?

I made something click in Axel because his expression faded from his smile to challengingly unreadable. The moles on his face powdered up and twitched along with his jaw. Opps... For some surprising reason instead of me stepping down, I kept arisen returning the stare contest. I don't know how long we've stared, but neither of us were turning down. Him and I were being stubborn about it. It sent chilling power down my spine. I have never felt like this before.