Ernest Hemingway App and Advice (III)

In the previous chapter we read a few quotes and tips from Mr Hemingway. Lucky for us, there is an online app called 'hemingwayapp' that can help us to apply all the advice Mr Hemingway has. Simply copy and paste your text into the tool, and it will highlight several things for you. I particularly find this app helpful for finding overuse of adverbs (we shall see in future chapters why overuse of adverbs is a no-no).

Hemingway App makes your writing bold and clear. It highlights long, complex sentences and common errors; if you see a yellow highlight, shorten the sentence or split it. If you see a red highlight, your sentence is so dense and complicated that your readers will get lost trying to follow its meandering, splitting logic — try editing this sentence to remove the red.

Adverbs are helpfully shown in blue. Get rid of them and pick verbs with force instead. You can utilize a shorter word in place of a purple one. Mouse over it for hints.

Phrases in green have been marked to show passive voice. Too much passive voice can make the pacing of the story drag, so this function is particularly useful when you're writing something action-y.

To visit the Hemingway App, got to: http://www.hemingwayapp.com

P.S.

Best. Tool. Ever. Go try it. (I love this thing *points up* It taught me how to write (better).