THIRTY

- Alex's POV -

Alex didn't go to the Jacuzzi party.

He stayed in his room and handled his business dealings. He wasn't going to go to some Jacuzzi party he had no interest in attending just for some girl. He was still himself.

He sighed. But she isn't some girl.

Sometimes, he felt as though he was too young to own a law firm. Hell, he was too young.

If only his father hadn't forced him to start it up. He was proud that his law firm was one of the best in europe, but that didn't mean he had zero stress - that he didn't have to work while handling his studies while also spending a little bit of time for himself.

He thought about selling his company.

And then shook his head. His father would kill him if he did something like that.

Around ten at night, there was a knock on his door. Alex blinked, and his heart soared a little. Was it Juliet? Juliet would pull a stunt like this, coming to a person's room at night to ask how they are. Of course she'd be the one to come and see how he was doing.

When he opened the door, though, the green eyed beauty wasn't there. Instead, she was replaced by some old hag.

"What do you want?" Alex asked her in a clipped tone.

Korianne twirled a strand of her hair in her fingers.

Alex frowned. He didn't even know that girls actually did that - he thought girls twirled their hair only in books and movies, to be completely honest. If she was trying to be subtle, twirling her hair wasn't the way to go.

Alex Camden - romance expert.

"Hey there, Alex."

"Alexander."

"Sure. So, how come you're all alone?" She asked innocently.

"Mr Enuresic left me to fend for myself," Alex said drily, mostly to himself.

"Enuresic?" Korianne asked, confused.

He sighed. "Nevermind."

"Right. So," she started, "I'm alone in my room now. You wanna come and join me, sailor?" She winked.

Alex made a face. "No, thank you." Besides, he thought. I'm more of a soldier than a sailor.

He nearly blushed.

She pouted. "Oh come on Alex - "

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Juliet stood in the corridor, staring at Korianne as if she was a piece of pigeon shit under her shoe.

Alex suppressed a grin.

Korianne rolled her eyes. "Ugh. Are you in love with Alex or something?"

"I could ask you the same thing, you creepy stalker."

Korianne frowned. "I'm not stalking. I'm just letting him know that I'm available."

"Message received," Juliet said, standing next to Alex and holding the door. "And offer declined. Good night." She shut the door in
Korianne's face.

"Coriander bitch," Juliet muttered.

Alex smiled. "Why did you send her away? I think I'm in love with her."

Juliet barked a laugh and sat on the edge of his bed. "Sure. In love with that pathetic piece of shit."

"You're a pathetic piece of shit too, Jules."

"Yes, but atleast I'm better looking and smarter."

Alex cracked a smile. "You do have a point."

Juliet brightened up a little when he said that, and all he could think of was that he wanted to make her happy all the time. She was beautiful when she smiled.

She said, "How come you're all alone here?"

"I was busy. Mr Enuresic was not."

Juliet laughed. "He is never going to live that down, eh."

Alex smiled on the inside. She knows what Enuresic means. He was so attracted to her right now.

He paused at the thought. Oh no.

He quickly forgot he even thought that.

"Yoohoo. Xanny. Are - "

"I'm okay," Alex said quietly. He sat next to her.

She immediately tensed. He could see it. She straightened her back and took in a quick breath, as though she was preparing herself for something.

"So, how come you're not at the Jacuzzi?" Alex asked her. He hoped she wouldn't make fun of his attempt at conversation. He never made conversation. Ever.

Luckily, she behaved as though it wasn't a big deal. As though Alex was capable of being a great conversationalist. "I was bored. It would've been much more fun if you had come," she added.

I should've come, he thought. "I was busy."

"I know. You told me."

He stared at her. "Right."

"Right," she echoed.

It was quiet for a few seconds.

Juliet smiled softly, and Alex stared at how her face was so soft and calm and pleasant and beautiful.

She said, "my sister loved snow."

"Your sister?" He asked her, keeping his tone neutral.

"Yes. The dead one," she said a little sharply. But still continued. As though she needed to say this. "Marina. She loved the snow. If she had come on this trip, she would've had a blast skiing. That it partly why I went skiing. I wanted to know what it felt like. What my sister felt like. "

Alex listened to Juliet as she continued talking about her deceased sister. Alex could tell that Juliet still missed her intensely, that her love for her sister was un-matchable.

He would've liked to meet this Marina. She sounded like quite the sister.

When it was twelve, Juliet yawned. She had somehow managed to sleep on his bed already, her legs and arms everywhere, her hands neatly tucked under her head.

He didn't mind.

She stretched and said, "I should get going."

"If you must."

"Would you rather I stay, Xanny boy?" She teased.

"I wouldn't mind," he said softly.

She was not expecting such boldness from him, and blushed a little. "Oh."

She stood there awkwardly.

Finally, Alex sighed and said, "I'll see you tomorrow."

Juliet said, "sure. I'll see you tomorrow." She hesitated near the door. "Hey, Alex?"

"Yes?" He asked. He was nervous. Was she going to say that she liked him? What would he say? Did she -

"Goodnight," she whispered.

He was a little disappointed, but replied quietly, "Goodnight."

She left.

That night, they both dreamed about each other - What if someone had said something that last minute. What if Juliet had confessed that she was basically in love with him. What if Alex had admitted that he was beginning to fall for her as well.

Alas, our life is full of what ifs.

And nobody is going to do anything about it because we're all fucking cowards.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .