<-18->

<-I-L-A-<<<
The sound of gunshots jolted me out of my sleep. It took a while to understand where I was and what was going on. I had fallen asleep in the car as the meet up was happening.

More gunshots that came from the distance turned my blood cold. It came from the direction I saw Marcella, Matteo, Aiden, and Gio walked towards. Without thinking, I fumbled with the car keys and started the engine. I drove, following the sound of gunfire in hopes of it leading me to my friends. 

Realizing what I was planning to do, I stepped on the breaks. Halting the car out of nowhere to sort out my brain. Was I really going to drive straight into a gunfight?

Adrenaline flowed as I thought of the danger Marcella, Matteo, Aiden, and Giovanni faced. Leaving all hesitation behind,  I stepped on the gas pedal and sped forward. My panic level rose little by little as I passed by empty alleys. Where were they? 

Jumping out of an alley without any warnings, a man in all black ran out on to the street. I slammed on the breaks, stopping the car before it could hit him. Even with my seatbelt to restrain me, the force sent me forward and my head hit the steering wheel. Pain spread all over my skull and I groaned. That was going to leave a bruise. I recovered and honked at the guy. He cursed and gave me the middle finger before scurrying off.  If it weren't for my headlights, the guy would have been a goner.

I looked to my left and into the space between the two buildings where the man had run out of. Besides Marcella, Matteo, Gio, and Aiden, there were about 15 other people. None of them recognizable from Il Bisbiglio. In which it meant that they must be outnumbered by the Furfanti. They were all separated from each other, shooting at the Furfanti that circled in on them.

I gasped as I saw Matteo fired his gun. The bullet planted itself into a man and the guy went limp, falling to the ground. 

>>>-M-A-T-T-E-O->

Light suddenly brightening the dark alley caused all of us to pause. Everyone lowered their gun slightly as they stilled and looked at the entrance of the alleyway. A silhouette of a car appeared behind the shining headlights that had entered and stopped.

Was it the Furfanti's backup?

The car started to move. Instead of backing out, it drove straight towards us. The car approached slowly at first but it began to pick up speed.

Shocked, the Furfanti began to back up.

"Correre!" Vernon yelled, telling his men to run in Italian.  

 I made eye contact with Marcella.

"Ila?" she mouthed the question.

I squinted and shield my eyes from the headlights with my hands. I caught a glimpse of the license plate.

"Guys, get in." I yelled for Marcella, Gio, and Aiden to hear.  

 <-I-L-A-<<<

The Furfanti took it upon themselves to shoot at the car as they backpedaled.  

Fortunately, the bullets didn't break through the windows. I had already guessed it was bulletproof. It didn't stop me from flinching as the bullets hit the body of the car. With my safety assured, I drove deeper into the alley. As I advanced on them, they began to back off.