Fifteen: Taco Bell and Sweatshirts

Zack's black charger was already in the Taco Bell parking lot when I pulled in. It was clearly rush hour and I knew we could be here for a while. I checked the clock to make sure I would have enough time. It read 1:15.

I walked into the fast food joint and found Zack next in line to order. I called his name and he turned to face me.

"About damn time. I thought you weren't gonna show." He said.

"I can help the next customer." The Taco Bell cashier said dully.

"Hey, can I get the Chalupa Cravings Box and whatever she's getting." He told the lady and pointed his thumb back at me.

I stepped next to Zack and said, "Uh, may I get the three Doritos locos tacos combo, please."

"Is this for here or to go?" She asked once she punched in my order.

"Here." Zack said and handed her his card.

After he paid we grabbed a booth in the back and waited for Zack's name to be called.

"So why did you want to meet for lunch?" I asked him after taking a sip of my coke.

"You didn't want to talk in the elevator so I figured we could talk now." He answered seriously.

I gulped and looked at the table. Obviously, we needed to talk about it, but how? Where do we even start?

Lucky for me, Zack started the conversation first. "I like you, Naomi", he started. "And I think you might like me back?" He said as a question. I could tell he was nervous about his little confession.

I took a deep breath and said, "I don't know. I really don't have any clue as to what I'm feeling. It's just a confusing mess. One minute I'm rolling my eyes at something you said and the next I'm blushing at something as small as a stupid peck on the cheek. I just... don't know." I let out a sigh and brought my gaze to his. There wasn't a joke lingering behind his eyes like usual. He was vulnerable.

Zack's name was called for our food so, before replying to what I had said, he quickly removed himself from the situation. The mood for lunch had turned serious and I didn't like it.

He came back and we began eating in awkward silence, something I never thought I would have with Zack's smart mouth. He finished his food light years before I did, which wasn't much of a surprise. The boy could eat, no doubt.

"Go on a date with me." He said out of the blue.

It had taken me off guard and I almost choked on my taco. "I'm sorry?" I asked, not sure if I had heard him correctly.

"Go on a date with me tonight after you get off work." He clarified.

I tried dodging the question."You know I get off late. Everything will be closed."

"We don't have to go out. Just come by my apartment when you get off." He tried again.

"I have to get home to Sophia so Sky can go home," I informed him of yet another obstacle.

Without saying anything, Zack picked up his phone and began to quickly type something on the screen. Not a minute later, his text tone went off. He checked the message and said, "Got Sophia taken care of. Sky is willing to stay the night so you can agree."

I looked at him with a slight smirk on my face. "Why are you trying so hard to make this happen?" I asked him with curiosity.

"No dodging the subject." He curved. "So what do you say?" He asked with hope in his eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I don't know, Zack. The last time I dated was with Sophia's dad and we see how well that ended." I looked at my last taco. My appetite had slowly faded away to nothing.