Chapter 23. Freak-Child in the City

Rossi was bored and tired, but he couldn’t imagine what Reid must be feeling. The young agent’s brain and perceptions, emotions and reactions, were catalogued ruthlessly during a grueling eight hour session. Rossi had planned on a late flight back to Quantico, but when he saw how drawn and pale Reid looked, he vetoed the idea.

At precisely the eight hour mark, Rossi had collared the younger agent, hustling him out of the research area and into the waiting room. Bescardi was in close pursuit.

“Really, just a few more tests and we can call it a day, yes?” The doctor’s own fatigue and excitement caused her faint Italian accent to thicken.

“No!” Rossi glared at her. “Eight hours was the limit. We have reached that limit, Carol.” He placed a gentle hand on Reid’s back and kneaded the tense muscles between his shoulder blades. “We’ll let you know when the next session will be, but for now, for tonight, we’re done.” His eyes dared her to refute the terms of their agreement. She didn’t. She was smarter than that. But she was also persistent.

“Wouldn’t you like to make your next appointment now? We can schedule you in any time at all. Completely at your convenience. Yes?”

Rossi answered for his weary colleague. “Agent Reid will let you know when to expect him. We’re done, Carol.” Draping an arm around Reid’s shoulders, Rossi escorted him out of Bescardi’s office, out of the building, and out into the city night.

xxxxxxx

Cooler air went a long way to reviving Reid, but he still looked drained. Rossi walked slowly, keeping a supportive hand at his friend’s elbow.

“We’re not getting on a flight, kid.” Reid’s response was an indecipherable mumble. “I’m checking us into a decent hotel and we’re ordering room service. I’ll call Hotch and let him know we’ll be in tomorrow mid-day.”

Reid’s pace faltered. “Actually, if you talk to Hotch, could you ask him if I can stay a little longer than that?”

Rossi was instantly on alert. “Did I miss something? Did Bescardi or anyone else at that place say something to you about going back tomorrow?”

“No. Rossi, no.” Reid stumbled. The older agent tightened his grip on his friend’s arm. “There really is a lecture I wanted to attend. At NYU. About theoretical physics and the Schwarzchild wormhole.”

Rossi chuckled and gave Reid a friendly squeeze. “Don’t bother explaining it to me, kid. If you feel well enough to go tomorrow, that’s fine with me. I’ll ask Hotch if we can spare you.”

“Good. That’s good. ‘Cause I just have this feeling it’ll be interesting and I really wanna go.”

xxxxxxx

An hour later, ensconced in a five-star hotel courtesy of David Rossi’s VISA, the two agents could finally relax. Rossi called Hotch and brought him up to date. He relayed Reid’s request for additional down time. As usual, Hotch’s only condition was that Reid return sooner if a case arose that required their resident genius’ presence.

Room service was ordered, but before Rossi’s prime rib or Reid’s tacos arrived, the young doctor had fallen asleep.

Rossi enjoyed his dinner solo. He sent the service trolley back with Reid’s uneaten meal. After removing the young doctor’s shoes and belt, he covered him with a blanket. Once he’d made arrangements for a wake-up call, Rossi took a closer look at his colleague.

In sleep, Reid looked like a slightly messy, slightly undernourished, grad student. Rossi shook his head and marveled that such an average façade could mask such tremendously strange resources. It was a bit unsettling. You’d never suspect what goes on in that brain. But he’s not the only one. Rossi considered the implications of an institute devoted to the study of mental phenomena. And an institute whose primary funding came from government sources.

Yawning, Rossi retired to his own bed. I wonder how many like him are out there?...and if they ever find each other?…If they do, Carol would probably instigate a selective breeding program…

Despite the luxurious, heavy, Egyptian cotton sheets, Rossi’s dreams were a restless amalgamation of super-beings and supervised procreation.

xxxxxxx

Both agents were a little groggy after the wake-up call came.

While Reid showered, Rossi ordered an enormous breakfast. There had been no lunch break the day before. The younger agent hadn’t eaten for more than 24 hours. Rossi reminded himself to make sure whoever accompanied Reid next time would bring snacks and insist on at least a couple of ten minute recesses.

A heavily-laden service cart arrived just as the shower turned off. When a damp, rumpled Reid emerged, Rossi was grateful for the opportune timing. The young doctor made a beeline to the source of tempting aromas permeating the room. Rossi filled his plate at a more sedate pace, watching his co-worker for any signs of mental or emotional stress attributable to the uncommon workout his abilities had undergone.

“So…how you feelin’, kid? You wanna do this again any time soon?”

Reid managed to answer around a mouthful of buttered toast. “I think so.” He swallowed and continued with an eager note in his voice. “Rossi, it’s weird. My brain feels kind of sore, but not in a bad way. It’s like…” He searched for an appropriate metaphor. “It’s like when you exercise muscles you don’t ordinarily use. They’re sore after, but you know it’s good…that they’re getting stronger.” He spooned scrambled eggs onto his plate, shaking his head and smiling at an unexpected discovery with unknown potential. “It makes me want to do more. Right now, I feel kinda high…endorphins, maybe…but I really wanna know where this will lead…how far I can take it.”

Rossi felt a chill at his young friend’s enthusiasm. He finished his breakfast in thoughtful silence, wondering just how far ESP could go. And was there a point at which a talent could become a weapon? Or a point where the talented became something so different, he could no longer be considered quite…human?

But then a paraphrase of J.J.’s words echoed in his mind. This is our monster. This is our freak. Rossi smiled to himself. He believed in the immutability of the soul. No matter where this journey led, he was certain Reid would always be the gentle, honorable man who inspired love and admiration far more often than he would ever know.

Rossi’s smile widened. Of course, if his abilities continue to grow, he might get a clue. Someday. And that would be no bad thing.

xxxxxxx

After Reid had made a respectable dent in the breakfast menu, the agents packed their go-bags and checked out. On the sidewalk, as a doorman hailed Rossi a cab, he gave Reid an appraising look.

“You sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah. I’m fine.” Reid noted the concern in his friend’s expression. “Why?”

“Yesterday was a very unusual day. With unusual results. I just want to be sure you’re not feeling any aftereffects.”

“I told you, Rossi. I feel great. Never better.”

A cab pulled to the curb. Rossi paused, hand on the door. “Just promise me one thing, kid.” Reid’s eyebrows lifted. “Don’t go anywhere near that clinic or Dr. Bescardi, okay? You’re not to ever go there without me, or Hotch, or Morgan…That’s a direct order. You understand me?”

Reid nodded, touched by the concern. “I promise. All I’m gonna do is hear a lecture and then catch the next flight home…But thanks,…Dad…” The accompanying mischievous grin earned him a parting slap from Rossi.

“Don’t call me ‘dad,’…brat.”

xxxxxxx

As the cab pulled away, Reid took a deep, cleansing breath and squinted up at the blue, mid-morning sky. He hitched his bag higher on his shoulder and set off toward downtown. He didn’t know why, but he had a feeling it was going to be a wonderful day.

He shrugged and shook his head at this inexplicable optimism. Must still be endorphins or something. Glancing at the sky again, he smiled. The blue reminded him of Anastasia’s eyes.

He wondered where in the city she might be on such a beautiful day.