Chapter 14 - Idiot.

Chapter 14 - Idiot.

Lucy's POV

It's around quarter to ten when Justin and I finally reach the southern side of the Pack border. To say that it's awkward would be the understatement of the century; we haven't really spoken much since we parted ways with the rest of the group twenty minutes ago.
Already I can tell that tonight is going to be a fun night... not.

Our orders from David were that we're to stay in our human forms (unless we run into any trouble, of course) so that we can check in with the others every hour, which means that I'm officially stuck with Justin in our human forms for pretty much the entire night. Fucking fantastic.

"Dad and Wayne have just reached their side," Justin informs me, putting his phone back into his pocket.

I nod in reply, and we start making our way along the border, not wanting to let any rogues slip through. "So... do you have any idea about what's going on?" I then ask, trying to fill the silence.

"None whatsoever," he replies, shaking his head and shoving his hands into his pockets. "But, whatever it is, I know it's serious. I mean, dad tells me everything, it's all part of the Alpha training, so the fact that he doesn't want me to know about this..."

"Means it's definitely not good," I finish, nodding my head slightly.

"Yeah..." he confirms, before we lapse into an awkward silence once more.

Great.

Another fifteen minutes of silence pass.

"So, what time do you want to set out tomorrow?" he eventually asks, and I do my best to hide my grimace.

I'd almost forgotten that Justin's coming with me to see Beck tomorrow and, let me tell you, I am not looking forward to it. It's going to be so awkward and tense, especially now that Beck knows Justin rejected me... and I'm not one-hundred percent sure that he'll be able to keep his temper in check. Basically, there is a very high chance that tomorrow is going to be awful.

"Um, I'm not sure," I admit, answering his question. "I think I'll be skipping school tomorrow, depending on how late we have to stay out tonight, and I probably won't be going until late afternoon."

He nods for a second, seemingly contemplating something before he speaks up again. "Give me your phone," he says, his tone different from the usually no-nonsense demanding one that I've grown so accustomed to.

"Um... why?" I ask, letting the confusion seep into my voice as I pull it out of my back pocket and hand it over.

"So I can give you my number," he replies easily, as if it's not completely out of the ordinary when it most definitely is. Justin Detroit, I repeat, Justin Detroit is giving me his number... can I be the first to ask what the actual fuck?!

After assumingly saving himself into my contacts, he looks back up at me and gives me my phone back, seemingly amused by the obvious shock that must be showing on my face.

"You know, so you can text me or something when you're ready to set out," he explains with a shrug, and that clears up some of my confusion.

Right, he gave me his number so I can give him a time to set off, which makes sense. Although, I was kind of just waiting for him to demand a time to set off... and expect me to be there. Isn't that how it goes?

"Right... okay," I reply, not really sure what else to say but also not wanting to lapse into silence again. I mean, we'll be stuck here for hours yet, so we might as well at least attempt at a conversation, right? "Um, so, are you going in tomorrow?"