Chapter 21-Prom Night

James chose a Friday night, specifically since most employees were off enjoying the start of the weekend and only security personnel would be inside the beautiful glass building.

"Good evening, I am James Beckford," he held out his cold thin hand to the head security office.

"Yes sir, Mrs. Beckford has advised me that you would be stopping by." said the officer as he handing him a card. "This is the executive pass, it gives you access to use the elevators on any floor and open any doors that may be locked. "

"Thank you."

"If you need anything I'll be right down here. My staff is aware that you will be walking through the perimeter."

James wasted no time and rode the elevator up to the floor that his father's office used to be; floor 89. He walked the lonely cold halls, his memory picking up which lefts and rights to take in the grand maze until he reached a pair of large beautifully ordained oak doors with brass handles.

He held up the pass to the scanner on the right hand side of the door and the doors unlocked.

As he entered he caught his fathers scent, one that he had not known for many years. It mixed the air along with the smell of scented candles and essential oils. He knew exactly where to go to be out of reach of the security cameras.

Even though he had a pass to enter and walk around as he pleased, he knew his father would eventually check the security tape in his own office.

He kept alongside the wall until he was right underneath the camera, flipping over one of the metal garbage bins to use as a stool, in one quick motion he yanked at the wire until it unplugged from its socket and the camera light went out.

Satisfied with being un-spotted, he moved towards his fathers large glass desk and began rummaging through it. He knew what to look for and where to look but what he wanted to find was nowhere in sight.

"Where are you hiding it?!" he growled as he opened each cabinet before sulking down on his fathers large leather chair. James ran his hand through his hair almost prepared to be defeated until he noticed a beautiful photo of his mother on his father's desk.

Years ago, in that same frame he had placed a portrait of his wife and his son. But now only Mrs. Beckford stood quietly in the photo.

James picked it up and analyzed the back. " I really mean nothing to you huh father? Well.... no matter." he picked the back of the frame and undid it, the photo fell out as well as a small thin key.

James smirked.

Found it.

He took the thin small key, lacing it through his finger and proceeded towards his father safe he had well hidden inside his office. Many years ago he had watched his father open up the safe, perfectly tucked away behind his bookcase, yet Mr. Beckford never knew that his son had watched him carefully opening it up and then hiding it back where it belonged.

He would never know that James had planned for this exact moment.

Slipping the key inside the safe, he opened the thick metal door and revealed the treasures inside.

James couldn't help but laugh and giggle as he went through the bundles of cash inside the safe. With his thumb he fanned the bills, not caring exactly how much was in each bundle because all he knew was that it was more than he would ever see in his current career.

The priest pocketed whatever he could fit on him before locking up the safe and tucking it away neatly as it was before and putting the key in its rightful place.