19. So Am I

n i n e t e e n

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO say," I breathe out, smirking, "except: I WIN! YOU LOSE! I'M THE CHAMPION!" I shout, dancing around on the bed like a five-year-old. Rooming with Daniel has been extremely fun, especially since I kick his ass at video games.

"It was on a technicality," Daniel groans, flopping back onto the bed, throwing the controller up in the air.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," I shrug. "I still won, though."

"Fine, you won. But you'll regret it," Daniel says menacingly, jumping on top of me and tickling me.

"Let... go... I'm... crying," I say, gasping for air and lightly hitting him.

"Not until you say you won on a technicality," he states, unrelentless in his fury. Tickles had always been my weakness.

"Fi-Fine," I choke out, giggling uncontrollably. "I won on a technicality."

"Good," he says, still sitting on top of my belly.

"Get off! You weigh a ton!" I shout, realizing his weight after he stopped the fury that is tickles.

"But it's all pure muscle," he says, flexing and kissing his arm.

"Keep tellin yourself that hun," I tease as the door swings open.

"'Hun'? I'm your best friend," Daniel retorts before turning his attention to the door. A slight chuckle escapes my lips as I whip my head to the door.

"We need to leave," Jonah says quickly, "Kara, Lavender, and Quinn are here." Confusion flashes through my thoughts. I thought they broke up. I mean, what about that call?

"What about Si?" I ask before he walks out.

"I don't know," he replies, "he's your boyfriend isn't he?" He spits the words out like they're acid burning his tongue. This was just like our usual conversations now. Nothing was ever meaningful anymore. It was all short and cutting. We couldn't even be friends, it seems. We decided to scrap that last part of the show, just sitting in chairs and singing now.

I blink quickly as Jonah walks away. Daniel jumps off and gives me a hand up, asking me if I'm alright. He's been aware of the icy ravine that divides me and Jonah, and he's tried to fix it. It's beyond his reach. Show business, right?

Running my hands through my hair and tying it into a messy bun, I follow Daniel as we walk to the elevator to greet them all.

"Amber! It's been so long!" Kara shouts, running to me.

"It's just been a few weeks," I chuckle, giving her a big hug. She slowly lets go of me and I look around the room.

I see Daniel and Quinn whispering to each other and giggling, giving each other a hug every few seconds. Daniel glanced in my direction, and I noticed the fire that danced in his eyes. It wasn't the type that burned; it was the type that healed. It was the kind of fire that left you wanting more. I guess that's what you feel when you're in love. Not that I would know. I don't think I can ever understand anymore.

My eyes flutter over to Lavender and Jonah, sitting at a table and talking. Their conversation wasn't as light as Daniel and Quinn's. No, it was much more agitated. A ferociousness burned bright in Lavender's eyes, seemingly scalding Jonah. He winced back as she slammed her hand down on the table angrily. My heart ached for him, but I didn't want to feel any sympathy to him. He's hurt me far too much. No good thing can heal it. Nothing. Except for that fire. I, however, already know that I'll never have that fire. I wouldn't be able to understand it.

"Amber," Simon says from the doorway, shoving his hands into his pockets, "we need to talk."

Nodding my head, I jog over to him as he walks out onto the sidewalk. "What's up?"

"I-I found out something while you were gone," he says in a hushed tone as his eyes darted around the street. "Well, I didn't exactly find it out. I just did something."

"What happened?" I ask, suspicion creeping into my voice. "Si, what are you talking about?"

"I'm breaking up with you," he states sadly, "because I fucked up. Bad. And I realized that I don't love you."

"What'd you do?" A little bit of sadness laces my words, but I'm mostly unaffected by this.

Maybe it's because I always knew it would end. Maybe it's because I've made myself so broken that I can't have a happily ever after. Maybe it's because I'm not lovable.

Maybe I'm like an elevator. I fell down, but I couldn't come up. Pent-up disappointment, anger, and frustration just peeled away at the cables, until there was nothing left. Nothing to bring me back up. I just need someone to fix the cables, but no one cares enough. Everyone is abandoning the building anyways.

"I cheated," he says slowly, as if tasting the word on his tongue. "I'm sorry."

A tear slips down my cheek as I nod slowly, turning around.

"So am I, Simon. So am I."

 Oof

Oof. That kinda hurt to write. Simon and Amber are finally done. Although I suppose you already knew that was coming. I thought I would do some cutesy chapter with Amber and Simon, and Jonah was in the back being jealous, but I went a different way. I have a whole other thing planned now.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but I'm working to make this book a lot more professional-looking. I want it to look kind of aesthetically pleasing, and I want the story itself to match. I'm trying to paint an intricate plot. I'm trying to write in a way that makes you think. In a way that makes you feel.

Q. What was the call about if it wasn't to Lavender?

QOTC: Who is your favorite WDW member?
AOTC: probably Jonah, but I love them all so so much. I always swerve between Jonah and Daniel though.

June 10, 2018