one | 1

fam·i·ly

Céline.

Crystalline, pure white sparkles fell gracefully from the light grey clouds, that hovered above the world. The sun was hidden today, but I didn't mind — not one bit. I tugged my coat closer to my body as I walked through the crisp cool air, and the snow stuck together under my boots, after each step. I could feel my nose and cheeks flushing in crimson and my lips almost blue from the cold weather.

It was the first snowfall of the season. In actuality, it was still autumn, but I couldn't wait for the next season to begin. Everyone hated the winter months because of blizzards and having to go out in frigid temperatures; whereas for me, it was a dream come true. Out of the four seasons, winter was my absolute favourite. There is just something so special about it. Many say that fall is all about sweater weather and warm cups of tea, but so does the coldest season. Bundling up in too many layers to count, drinking a mug of hot cocoa, and sitting right in front of a fireplace. I couldn't picture a better heaven.

Of course, winter was the polar opposite of summer. I hate the hot, humid, and sweaty climate through, what feels like, never ending months. When you're practically wearing nothing, yet you're still melting under the burning hot sun was torture in reality — and there was nothing else you could do about it. Well, that's until you hit that nice sudden breeze of brisk cool air, once you walk into an air-conditioned building. Again, that refreshing sensation is a temporary form of happiness for me.

I walked into the large building, immediately loosening the scarf wrapped around my neck, and slid the mittens off my hands. I shook my head slightly, discarding the melting flakes off of my clothed body. My hair fell back down, just at my shoulders. It was at a perfect length for me — it's just long enough to tie up, yet short enough to style it loose. I absolutely hated it when the ends stuck to your skin at a certain point. That, of course, happens in the warmer months; giving me another reason why I despise the heat.

It was always warmer than it should be near the entrances of buildings, that I felt like a fire had just erupted around my body. Cooling off as I walked, my feet carried me through the halls of the Children's Mercy Hospital in downtown Kansas City. Everything was the same as it was yesterday and the many days before that. There was something about this hospital though, probably because it was made specifically for kids. There were colours everywhere. It wasn't the dragging dull and neutral colours that bored the naked eye. Hospitals were built and made to help cure people and make them feel better. How on earth was that to happen if they plan on depressing that person first? I shook my head at the mind-twisting logic that is carried on through the many minds of people in this world.

My eyes looked towards a little girl, walking around with an IV stand dragging along by her side, and her Mum on the other. She carried a worn out teddy bear, dangling from her small hand. It was so close to the ground, I almost felt the need to raise it from the dirty floor; but I restrained myself, as I saw her Mum read my thoughts. I showed a small smile as I passed them, their two pairs of lips mimicking my own expression.

I turned a corner and bumped into a man wearing a white coat, knocking files from his hand, and quickly had the scattering all over the ground. Several eyes of nurses and a couple of other doctors looked our way, but then carried on with what they were doing. I apologised profusely for my clumsy action to the man only a metre away. The both of us bent down to pick up the papers on the floor. As soon as my hazel brown eyes meet a pair of stunning green ones, my breath slightly hitched at how attractive this male was. His hair was slightly long and it confused me on how he was so good looking. I coughed, attempting to cover the fact that my mouth was definitely dropped open. He smiled at me, both apologising at the same time, once more. My fingers moved a loose strand of hair behind my ear.