two | 2

con·sid·er·a·tion

Céline.

six months later.

My hand held onto an oversized envelope as I rushed into the same colourful room I've been coming in for weeks. I managed to convince them to paint one of the walls a proper hue, to add a little more happiness within the room, but my true happiness comes from the smile that was always planted on my niece's face. Nothing could ever top that. With everything that she was going through, the pain from the treatment, and having to overcome something that we wish upon no one, she still manages to have joy inside of her.

My little Hazelnut — she's my hero.

The two ladies looked at me with wide eyes, waiting for me to say something — anything. I paused for a few moments, until I knew they'd get antsy, and so that I was able to catch my breath. It was then that a wide smile grew on my lips.

"I got in!" I exclaimed, raising my hands in the air.

"You got in?" My sister asked, still stunned by my simple words.

"I got in!" I repeated, jumping up and down on the spot. If we weren't in a place where children were filled in, people might think I was a little bit crazy.

This is one of many — few — times I've shared happy news with them; and every single time, it's still as if it's the first. I never had anyone to share good news with before. They are the only two people I trust with my life, and that, is something extremely big. It warms my heart every time and I couldn't be any more thankful that they are in my life. I don't know what I'd do without them. Having friends is one thing, but knowing that you have a loving family right beside you, supporting your choices and being there for you, that's something entirely different; and also, very beautiful. 

"Congratulations! We knew you could do it! I mean, what place wouldn't want to have you?" Josie smiled wide, clapping her hands together in joy.

"So does that mean you're sticking around even longer?" Hazel asked, with big eyes. A grin tugged on her lips; but I knew that she was still doubting that I'd go back to Michigan. I would never go back. My life was here now. My apartment was here now. My home, was here now.  

With all of that said, I nodded quickly, then decided to tease her with the name she hated — loved — the most. "I ain't going anywhere, my little Nutcracker." 

"Hey, you said you are going to stop calling me that." My niece pouted, adorably I might add.

"I lied." I showed her a small smirk.

"Auntie C, it's not nice to lie." She pointed her finger at me and I laughed.

"True, but you secretly love that name. I know you do." I crouched, waddling over to the bed, tickling her side watching her squirm under my touch.

"Alright, I love it, I love it!" She giggled and I planted a several kisses all over her face.

"I'm so proud of you Auntie Céline." Hazel smiled. "When I grow up, I want to be just like you."

My heart melted at her words. No one has ever said they wanted to be like me. I was being me for myself. Never did I once imagine anyone would want to follow in my footsteps for anything. Then again, I had no one to even want to be like me. I was always alone, but that changed well over a year ago. 

"Those are some big shoes to fill." I challenged lightly.

"If you can do it, so can I." She nodded once, assuring me her determination.