Rosie & Mike [2]

Rosie heard her phone ring but she tucked it back into her pocket. Right now, she was baffled by the way Mike was talking to her. He kept taking pictures of her, then showing them. She nodded to whatever he was saying. His comments to the photographs sounded like meaningless noise.

The man had simply complimented her, catching her interest. Even though her first impression of him was based on other women had told her, he didn't seem like an asshole. But shooting a couple of sweet words didn't also turn him a gentleman.

With the train starting to move and people walking pass their cabin, the conversation was cut off by a young kid running into their space.

"Hide me," he said, looking behind him and then jumping on the seat. The boy had short black hair, brown eyes and barely dressed in any clothing. A t-shirt with Minions hung on his body, way too big for him.

"Hey kid. Where's you mom?"

Mike set the camera beside him and leaned forward, all eyes on the boy. The train jerked for a second, making Rosie hold on by the table.

"Hendrik, where are you?"

The mother of the boy shouted over the wagon and the kid laughed playfully.

"You shouldn't hide from your mother. She will get very worried." Rosie said and stood up to sit beside the boy. "Why did you run off like this?"

"Mama wants to play. So do I," he replied, sparkling smile on his lips. "Will you hide me?" He asked next.

"Hendrik!"

She kept looking for him and Rosie felt bad for the mother not knowing where her son had disappeared.

"He's here!" She called out to her.

The boy huffed out a breath, visibly annoyed. "I never get to have any fun!"

"Boy, listen to me. Never make your mom worry about ya." Mike said and the mother of the boy entered the cabin. "Here you are. Sorry for him troubling you."
"Oh no, he didn't."
"Great. Let's go, dad is worried sick." She hushed him out of the wagon with the kid turning back to wave at Rosie and Mike. When they had disappeared from the view, Mike settled back on his seat.
"Nice kid. Kind of shaggy with the oversized shirt but..." Mike started, obviously judging the young kid. So Rosie snapped at him.
"It's not nice to talk about him that way."

Mike's brows furrowed, mouth forming a straight line. "What do you mean?"

"Ah, forget it," she dismissed herself, standing up and ready to head to the bathroom.
Mike grabbed her by her hand.
"No, no. Go on! What's the problem?"

Rosie yanked her hand back, rubbing at her wrist. "Ok, I understand that your ego is too big and barely fits in the same room as us but you can't judge others by the way the look."

Mike's jaw dropped.

"That's how you think of me? As an ego maniac?"

"Well, everyone does. The famous Mike Zelinski- arrogant and annoying." She put the emphasis on the word 'famous'. "I'd also add judgemental to the list."

"If you don't like me then why did you agree to come to the conference with me?" He asked.
She huffed out a short laugh.
"Didn't have another choice."
Rosie's phone rang again and she ignored it.

"Now I am starting to think this is a bad idea." He stretched out his limbs, opening the zipper of his jacket.

"I knew it right when we were paired for this," Rosie replied.

The train jerked again, then harder. Rosie stumbled and fell into Mike's arms, both of them thrown backward when the train came to a jolting stop.
Mike had his arms circled around her, faces almost touching.

"What just happened?" She asked, trying to get off him.

"Train stopped. No worries, probably something on the road." He ensured her.

The couple got off the seat. Mike reached for his camera and Rosie was about to sit down when people started screaming. There was no time to react when the whole train cabin started to roll on its side, throwing the couple off their feet and against the glass windows of the train.

"Oh my God," Rosie reached for her seat to hang on to something but in a split of a second later something crashed into the train and the whole thing went rumbling down on the left side.

"Hold on to the table. Rosie, don't let go."

Mike yelled over the people screaming and Rosie reached for him instead.

"No. Get to the table."

She got on her feet, slowly took a couple of steps until the train moved again. Quickly, she jumped and got hold of the oak material, clutching it for her life. The whole thing kept rolling; her eyes caught the sky and then the ground through the window.

She closed her eyes just in time when the wagon plummeted against the ground.
Mike got thrown against the glass window, shattering it in the process. His body fell, unconsciously hitting the seat beside Rosie. Millions and millions of glass pieces covered the floor and Mike; flood painting the wall behind her.
She watched him, his body loosely hanging over the edge of the seat, blood dripping from a cut above his eyebrow.
"Mike?!" Her words were almost a whisper. He didn't reply, neither did he move. Was he dead?
"Mike?" She tried to reach for him but she retracted her hand when the wagon started to rock.
Tears flooded her eyes. It was quiet. There were no more cries, screaming or sounds beside the gentle cracking sounds of the frame.
She yelled through her tears.

"Mike!"