-Chapter 3-

The wall dissolved and retreated to the corners of the cell, exposing the metal bars once more. The guard called out Corinna's name, stirring her awake.

All of this is real.

"You'll be leaving soon," said the guard, avoiding Corinna's gaze. "They're transporting you to the north-east portal."

"North-east?" Corinna sat up on the bed. "I thought there was one in the castle. Wouldn't it be easier to go there? It's just beneath us."

The guard shrugged. "The queen wishes you to go through the north-east portal. Perhaps she wants you to arrive at a specific area in the Eternal Abyss?"

Corinna nodded, not knowing what else to say. Upon remembering the tales and the broadcasts of how difficult it was to obtain food and water, she turned on the tap and inhaled numerous scoops of water from the sink. After wiping her mouth with her sleeve, she was then blindfolded, bound in chains, and guided by the guard to an armoured van with trailing escorts.

As soon as they reached the north-east portal, Corinna stumbled out of the vehicle and vomited. She was uncertain whether it was caused by drinking so much water, terror, or both. The escorts took off her blindfold, wiped her down, and handed her drinks of water which she politely refused, fearing that it would only make matters worse.

Corinna rested her palms on her stomach. The liquids inside of her churned as she was guided through long corridors and locked security gates. So concentrated on her rising sickness, the technician's instructions were reduced to a drone.

"When the portal is ready, you are to stand on the platform," the technician explained. "Make sure you stand right in the centre; otherwise, you'll hurt yourself against the side of the tunnel and risk a concussion. We'll give you a countdown, and the platform will disappear. Understood?"

Blinking, Corinna stared back at the technician, answering "yes," out of fear of being a nuisance. Suddenly, her escorts and the other technicians knelt on the floor and bowed. Corinna turned and saw Queen Corinna IX, followed by an entourage of assistants and bodyguards. Corinna Warren attempted to bow also while restrained in chains.

The queen's assistant announced the monach's arrival, and the technicians were given permission to stand again. Corinna gathered from the muttering and whispering of the technicians and their stiff and shaken demeanour that they had not expected the queen to be present. 

Then what was Her Majesty even doing here? Corinna pondered. Surely it is not part of Her royal duties to see prisoners off to the Eternal Abyss?

The group entered the control centre. It was a circular and large room with desks, computers, and screens aligned in a ring, with a round and metal flooring in the middle, where a bridge crossed over it.

The technicians sat at their assigned seats and began typing, flicking switches, or channelling magic between their fingertips. They shifted with unease, avoiding eye contact with the queen as she watched one of the larger screens. The head technician then ordered the initiation of the 'wind control' near the portal entrance.

Queen Corinna then turned her attention to Corinna Warren, releasing her from her restraints with a wave of her hand and dismissing the guards.

Corinna bowed and thanked the Queen. Now free, she rubbed and soothed the ringed skin on her wrists, then glanced upwards at the blank white mask.

"Her Majesty wishes for you to hold out your hands," the assistant explained. 

Hesitant, Corinna held out her hands as commanded. They shook, still sore from the chains and the magic from yesterday.