12.

♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐

CHAPTER TWELVE; 12

        Stiles and Sage came bursting through the door to the McCall house, muttering and pushing each other as they both tried to fit through the frame. For the past few hours, they had chosen to ignore each other up until the very moment they realized that they couldn't, both of them having committed their lives to making sure Scott McCall didn't eat anyone.

         All of the commotion alerted Melissa, who called out her son's name but only got the surprise of two spastic, sexually frustrated teenagers that claimed to have no feelings for each other what-so-ever. Sage gaped over at Melissa, her eyes growing the size of saucers considering she hadn't intended for the mother to be home, while Stiles just nonchalantly closed the door.

        The teenage boy turned around, moving to correct Melissa's calls to her son. "Stiles."

        Sage winced before raising her hand in a wave. "Sage."

        "Key!" Melissa exclaimed, pointing towards the key that Stiles was grasping in his hand.

        Sage already complained to him that duplicating other people's house keys was not polite, and he just shouted at her that making out with his best friend on a desk was not sanitary. This all happened in their venture on their way to the house, it being an intense ten minutes of brooding stares and complicated snarks. 

        "Yeah, I had one made. So..." Stiles paused, leaving the sentence open-ended.

        "That doesn't surprise me."

        Sage snorted, crossing her arms over her chest. "Does anything Stiles does surprise you?"

        "No. It scares me, it doesn't surprise me. Nice to see you outside of the hospital, Sage," Melissa greeted, raising her eyebrows.

        Sage grinned sheepishly, realizing that the only real time the two talk is when she's questioning Sage, taking Sage's blood pressure, or making sure Sage isn't dying. Stiles decided to drop the black duffle bag on the floor, and the contents inside made a loud bang echo through the house.

        Melissa's eyebrows raised at the boy. "What is that?"

        "Uh, school project," Stiles rushed, wrapping an arm around Sage, scoffing and grinning to try and pull of his act; the blonde seemed to tighten her shoulders had his touch, still uncomfortable being around him after what she had done today.

        Melissa frowned, meeting eyes with Sage who just gave a hopeless stare back. Feeling concerned for the well-being of her son, Melissa found herself asking two of Scott's closest, and only, friends. "He's okay right?"

        "Who? Scott?" Stiles wondered, confused at first only to begin nodding. "Yeah! Totally."

        "He just doesn't talk to me. Not much anymore... not like he used to," Melissa explained, her lips tugging ever farther as she grew nostalgic back to the days Scott used to tell her everything, no secrets hidden between them. 

        "He's just having a bit of a rough week," Stiles reassured.

        Sage frowned and stretched her hand out, grabbing hold of Melissa's and squeezing it. The mother looked over and smiled lightly at Sage, nodding her head. Stiles noticed the gesture and narrowed his eyes a bit, trying to figure out what to tell Melissa next. It was weird to think that Melissa McCall had become a mother figure to both Stiles and Sage, both having lost their own around the same time.