Old Habits [S2:E4]

| February 7 | Wednesday Afternoon |

~ Sam's POV ~

I waited impatiently in my car for Blair to emerge from her apartment wishing she would hurry. I was starving.

She appeared at the top of her stairs and ran to my car in an attempt to escape the cold. After lunch I would drop her off on campus since she had a class in a few hours. I had to admit, watching my girlfriend and best friend struggle through each semester was tiring even for me. I could only imagine how it was for them.

"S-Sh-Shit..." Blair stuttered. "I c-can't wait for summer."

I laughed to myself. "You're one of those people."

"W-What do you mean?" She started to mess with the heat dial. "Jesus, put this higher."

I backed out. "You bitch about the heat in the summer, and then bitch about the cold in the winter. You just like to bitch, don't you?"

"I thought you knew this already?"

"Right."

I made it to the diner we were eating at and pulled into a space, allowing us to exit and battle the cold once again. Obviously the cold bothered me. A lot. But Blair was a completely different story. It was almost hysterical.

She bolted for the door, leaving me in the parking lot for a second. I couldn't help but laugh to myself as I let myself into the restaurant.

We sat in a booth and I picked up a menu.

"Has Megan run into Nikki again since...?" Blair wondered.

"No," I answered. "Or, I don't think so. I mean, it's bound to happen again. She's literally teaching at the same college you two are attending."

Blair just pursed her lips in response.

Everyone knew how upset I was about the Nikki situation. It was annoying, and I didn't even understand why. Megan loved me, I knew that. We were great, and she didn't want to have anything to do with Nikki anymore, but there was that small thread of worry I was hanging onto. But over it all, I trusted Megan with my life, and I knew she wouldn't do anything to hurt me.

But even knowing all of that didn't stop the anxiety.

"Enough about the whole Nikki thing," I ended. "What about you and Tony?"

Blair's face lit up at the mentioning, but I could tell she still wanted to pester me about how I felt. I didn't want to talk about it because I didn't understand what I felt. The threat of Nikki living here annoyed me to no end, but my anxiety was stemming from something else. Something much darker than plain annoyance of her presence.

"He's just... perfect," Blair admired. "I really don't know how I got so lucky."

"You didn't get lucky," I included. "You're just so goddamn picky and headstrong that Tony is the only one who qualified."

"I can't tell if that was a compliment or not."

"Me neither."

Blair studied me, and probably realized I had spaced for most of her boasting about her boyfriend. She tilted her head and leaned forward.

"Samantha," she said. "You and Megan will be fine. You two were practically made for each other. Nikki is a wad of gum compared to you in Megan's eyes. Trust me."

"A wad of gum?"

"You know what I mean."

I laughed and decided I needed this talk with my best friend. Blair always knew the right things to say. What in the hell would I do without her?