22

As I sat on a bench, whining about the misfortunes of life, the prince appeared right in front of my face.

"One last exam, you will be in top 5!" Taehyung exclaimed happily.

"Taehyung, I cooked- I didn't even cook, I served raw meat, spaghetti that looked like hay and mashed potato that looked like vomit! How could you- how could you pass me?!" I screamed. Most girls would be appreciative, but just a reminder that you are in some competition to fight for the crown and you do NOT want to be a wife at 18.

"Well- maybe I do like eating raw meat, hay spaghetti and vomit potato! What do you know about me and my tastes?"

"What I know, is that you are some kind of idiot who has a horrible taste in women," I replied. "Out of all the beautiful fishes in the sea, you had to pick an ugly floating potato from the ocean? What?"

"What if I like women like you?" Taehyung answered.

"Nobody does!"

"WELL I DO!" he shouts. "I mean, a-as a friend, uhm, your p-personality is nice and all. S-so I prefer y-your type," his voice softens and his gaze averted to the side.

"Gotta blast!" I concluded and dashed off like Usain Bolt to a destination I didn't know. I ended up back in my room and jumped onto the bed, head facing downwards.

I don't know... but I ran too fast and my heart beat is like ten thousand times faster. But can we talk about how cute his stutter was? Like holy guacamole I think I'm obsessed with him speaking like this-

Wait what am I talking about?

Could it be...

Could I be...

in l-

"I WANNA KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW WHAT IS LOVE!" I sang, shouting my lungs out. I'm too young for romance, my mental age is like 2?

-

IT'S TIME FOR THE THIRD EXAM. Oh, how excited I am... apparently it's about your physical strength, fighting abilities and basic survival skills.

I lived alone pretty much my entire life, survived on food from food delivery apps, know how to do business, basic stuff should be easy for me. I hope.

Fighting? I guess I have been trained quite a bit. Aunt Lee sent me to Taekwondo lessons since she was afraid I might get killed or something when walking in the streets alone.

Maybe this exam is the only thing I'm good at. I hope once more.

-

First up, running. Easy! But I hate it.

3... 2... 1... GO!

Running along with the remaining 10 girls, I sped up and overtook 8 of them. A few inches away from me was a tall girl with very long legs. No wonder she could run that fast.

The other girl, she was tan and had a fair bit of muscles. She might have been an athlete, or something similar.

Okay, enough of all these thinking. Time to use some more energy...

BAM 💥 WOAH I WAS LIKE SOME ROCKET FLYING FORWARDS. RUN YOU STUPID LEGS, HURRY UP!

I was second in position, the finishing line just 2 metres away and... I was still second in position. What do you expect? I'm not a coconut head boy.

Exhausted after the run, my brain was fuzzy and I had difficulty breathing. But... all was good. I decided to sit on a chair without thinking much about whether somebody was sitting on it or not.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU BRAINLESS RETARD?" A voice all too familiar rang in my already dizzy mind. That's when I realised I accidentally sat on Kim Taehyung, the prince.

Almost jumping five feet into the air, I apologised profusely, begging for forgiveness.

"Are you crazy? I'm the prince, you're a candidate of the ceremony and you're- oh Hae Won! I thought you were someone else!" His voice changed drastically.

"Uh... what?" I asked confused.

"Ah, well, since it's you then you're forgiven!" Taehyung chirped while smiling. Wow I feel so privileged. So, I just stared at him while he stared back, and we had a very awkward silence between us. I faked a cough and looked away, blinking.

"Oh, uh, great legs you have there."

"What?! Are you some per-"

"No- like, great run! You ran really quickly! Ugh, that came out wrong... s-sorry," Taehyung stuttered again. My heart dropped like as if I was riding a rollercoaster going down a huge slope.

"Don't do that," I muttered.

"Don't do what?" He replied, confused. I was confused too, this strange feeling... and all of a sudden 'What is Love?' came blasting in my mind again.

"Hae Won?" Tae called, getting my attention since I was busy thinking about that annoyingly-catchy song.

"Just- just your existence itself is making me confused, stop."

"You want me to stop existing, is that right?" Taehyung said, slightly heartbroken.

"No! No, gosh, I don't know how to explain. Uh, juststopbeingsoadorableyouarekillingme!" I rambled.

"Say it again?" Taehyung smirked and came closer to me.

"GeT aWay frOm mE, I'm goIng cRazy, aGh!" I yelled, grabbing my head with both palms.

Just like that, I ran away and towards the destination of next part of the third exam.

-

After showing my basic camping skills, which included setting up a tent and starting a fire, a test in how many dumbbells you can hold, the exams were finally over.

Finally.

I was, unfortunately, in the top 5.

-

"Alright, you five will have a room to yourselves. Since all of you come from different groups, you can stay in your original rooms and all the other things which aren't yours have been cleared. You will each have 5 palace staff following you, welcome to the finals, top 5!" a guard announced loudly.

The other four were squealing happily, while I was whimpering quietly to myself.

"Oh, and you are now allowed to visit places like the pool, sky garden and more."

Ugh... what's the use...

"Right, and you can request for food anytime you feel hungry,"

Food. FOoD!

"YAY!" I squeaked. Covering my mouth hurriedly afterwards.

Maybe... being in the top 5 wasn't that bad after all.