Chapter 9: I Wonder What Would Have Happened

A couple hours later, around 2:00, I’m in my room just as I have been since Ryder left. God; this is horrible. Being grounded I mean. I could watch TV, or call someone, or use the laptop, but I don’t really feel like it. I’ve been grounded for like six hours; and I’m nearly dying of the complete and utter boredness. How am I gonna make it through the next few days? I knew I would regret taking the fall for Ryder. Well technically, I didn’t. I just told her not to ground Ryder; she was gonna ground me anyway I think. A knock comes at my door and I sit up in the bed.

          “Come in!” I call.

The door opens, and Will steps in. “Hi there.”

          “Hello.” I say in mock cheerfulness.

          “Something wrong?”

I groan, “I’m grounded.”

          “You? Grounded?

          “Hard to believe?”

          “Very; what’d you do?”

          “Curfew; which in my defense, I wasn’t aware of.”

          “How long?”

          “A week.” I mutter lying on my back on the bed, with my knees propped up in the air.

Will plops down, lying beside me. “So we should do something.”

          “Something that doesn’t involve leaving the house.”

          “Right.”

          “Okay, such as?”

          “Hmm,” Will says, looking around my room, “You’re walls are kinda bland.”

I prop myself up on my elbows, looking at the white walls, “Yeah, and?”

          “We’re gonna paint them.” Will tells me, as he sits up.

          “I don’t think that the greatest idea; I mean, I’m only gonna be here for the summer.”

          “Today’s only your third day of being here; you have like two months before you go home.”

          “I guess you’re right.”

          “Sure am, now what’s your favorite color?”

          “Orange.”

          “Orange?” He asks in disbelief.

          “Is that a problem?”

          “No, just thought you’d like hot pink or something.”

          “Well my walls home are pink.”

          “I knew it.” He says, snapping his finger. “I’m gonna go to Lowe’s in L.A. and get the paint and the brushes, and then I’ll be back. Gimme ‘bout thirty minutes.”

          “Alright.” I say, as Will as he jogs out of my room.

I look down at my attire-which is my pajama’s still. I guess I should change into something that’s okay to get paint on. I go over to my dresser and pull it open. I find a shirt at the very bottom of my third dressers. I pick it up and inspect it. It’s a boy shirt because it’s obviously too big for me. As I look down at the design on it, I remember where it came from. It was my ex-boyfriend’s shirt. How it got in my suitcase, I don’t know. I toss the shirt up on the bed, and then find a pair of distressed skinny jeans. They’ll work. I stand up, and pull the shirt and shorts that I’m wearing off. Then I pull on my ‘paint-wear’.