Chapter Twenty-Two: Home

Tasha's POV

"Connor?"

He looked at me expectantly, worry and curiosity in his eyes.

"What was my chance for survival? When that deviant pushed me off the roof."

Connor frowned slightly. "13%."

I was surprised it had been that low. "Well, it's a good thing you saved me."

"I didn't catch the deviant."

"Connor, in that moment, you put me before your mission..." I smiled as I kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me." Connor said, gazing into my eyes. "I shouldn't have let you chase him."

"Let me? We both know no one can stop me from doing my job."

I was silent for a moment, "You need to take me home so I can change."

Connor looked down at me, confused. "I planned on taking you home, why must you change?"

"Our date tonight, genius... or did you forget?"

"You almost died." Connor said bluntly as he turned. "You need to rest your leg."

"It's fine!" I got Connor to put me on the ground, biting my tongue to keep in my winces when I put weight on my left leg.

"Is that what humans would consider fine?" Connor asked with a frustrated glance, helping me into the back of the car.

I kept my mouth shut as Hank drove us back home. The pain was bearable — just barely, as Connor helped me into the house, setting me on the couch as he began unlacing my shoes.

I was tired from all the running, and from nearly dying. I let out a yawn, frowning slightly when I noticed Connor looking up at me.

"I'm going to carry you to your bed." Connor stated.

I nodded silently, pouting. "I don't want to sleep, though."

"You need rest." Connor said as he lifted me into his arms with ease, carrying me into my room, gently lying me down on the bed.

He went into the bathroom, handing me two pain pills. He got me a glass of water, holding it for me as I took the medication. "Thanks, Connor."

"I'll make you something to eat." Connor leaned down, pressing his lips to my forehead before walking out of the room.

I allowed myself in that moment to enjoy the silence of the room, and the comfort of my bed. It didn't take long for my eyes to flutter shut and I was consumed with darkness.

•••

I wasn't sure when it was that I woke up — I felt like I had slept an eternity. I rolled over into my side, looking at the clock. It read 8pm.

"You're awake."

I glanced over at the door, smiling when I saw Connor standing there, a soft, but nervous smile on his face. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." I pushed myself up, rolling my eyes playfully when Connor immediately rushed over to help me.

"I'll carry you out to the dining room — I need you to close your eyes though."

I looked up at him skepticslly as he lifted me up into his arms. "Why?"

"Can you please just do it?" Connor was clearly nervous, his LED was blinking yellow and as he held me I felt his body shaking ever so slightly.

I nodded, closing my eyes as he carried me out of the room. I relished in his warm embrace, missing it instantly when he set me into a kitchen chair.

I could hear Connor walk around the room a few times before coming back to me. "You can open them."

When I did, I couldn't help but smile.

Connor had set up candles, flowers, and in front of me was a plate of spaghetti — one of my favorite foods.

"Connor — it's beautiful."

"Do you like it?" Connor asked as he sat across from me, his LED slowly turning blue once more.

"I love it."

Connor watched me as I ate, letting out a small squeal as I tasted the pasta. "This is amazing."

He smiled happily, "I am glad."

After I ate, Connor went over to the living room, turning on the music causing me to giggle softly. "What are you doing, Connor?"

"I," Connor walked back to me, lifting me up so I was standing on his feet, his arms supporting my weight entirely so I put no pressure on my injured leg. "Am dancing with you."

Connor's POV

Everything was going as planned.

Tasha enjoyed her dinner.

She was happily dancing with him.

While he was new to it all, he did do research on romantic dancing — the easiest being simply swaying back and forth.

Connor noticed after a while Tasha seemed to be lost in thought. "What is it?"

"I look terrible." She laughed, though he could tell she wasn't as happy in that moment. "I wanted to look good on our date."

"You always look good." Connor said as he held her closer, smiling.

"Do you really think that?" Tasha gazed up into his eyes, and he could see the fear in them. Fear of rejection. Fear of being hurt again.

I will not do that to her.

"Of course I do." Connor said matter-o-factly. "You have beautiful eyes. It's like I'm seeing the world for the first time."

Tasha's nerves left her as she cuddled closer to his body. "This is the best date I've ever had."

Connor felt his heart soar at her words, "Really?"

"Yeah." She leaned up, kissing his cheek gently before resting her head against his chest, listening to the thumping of his metal heart.

I love you.

Why can't I say it?

Three simple words.

Connor just held her closer, kissing the top of her head as he asked himself a million questions he did not know the answer to.

A/N: Please leave scene suggestions you'd like to see me write and add to the story -/ thank you so much for reading! Your comments keep me writing.