Chapter 19

"H-How long ago was that?" I ask my voice shaky but no emotion in it.

"I-I think it was about 2 years ago, why?" He asks.

"What was their names?"

"I think one girl was named, Lily, or Lucy, or something like that. The name started with an L," he says.

"Lydia," I say as I feel fresh tears fall down my face.

"Y-Yeah, that was her name. How did y-,"

"What was the other girl's name?" I ask interrupting him.

"U-Uh, I think Emma or Emily? or," Then he stops and looks back at me.

"Emilia, Emilia was her name," He says with sadness lacing his voice. He tries to lean over to hug me for comfort but I back away.

"A-Are you mad at me?" He says.

"N-No, It's just a lot to take in," I say gripping my head. I can't believe it. Why did my schoolmates blame me? Why did I suddenly realize it wasn't my fault but a drunk driver? Why did I torture myself for years?

"I guess it's my turn now," I say with a grim laugh.

"Emilia, you don-"

"No, It would be wrong if I don't after you just poured your heart out to me," I tell him seriously.

"Well you know about the crash," I say looking at him. 

beep...beep...beep...

I groan and open my eyes but immediately close them because the lights in the room are too bright. I open them again, blinking to adjust to the lights. I look around and see everything is white. I go to grab my head and feel something in my arm. An IV? I'm in a hospital. What happened?

The door opens and I look up to see a woman in a coat and clipboard in hand.

"Oh, I'm glad to see you're awake." She says.

"W-What happened?" I ask getting anxious. She gives me a sad look.

"You got in a car accident, we called your parent and they are on their way." She tells me, suddenly I remember. Lydia!

"Where is my friend! Lydia? Is she okay? She was with me!" I say starting to freak out.

"Honey, Honey calm down okay?" She tries to say.

"Is she okay!" I raise my voice.

"Honey, I'm sorry but your friend didn't make it," She says with pity in her eyes. My eyes widened in complete shock. I don't want her pity looks! I want my friend!

"GET OUT, LEAVE ME ALONE, GET OUT!" I start thrashing around and pull out my IV. Hissing slightly from my abrupt movement. My friend is gone? She's dead?! She can't be dead!

"I need some help in here," I hear the doctor yell. I start to get up but a few nurses grab me by my arms and legs but I continue to thrash and scream.

"LEAVE ME ALONE, LET ME GO, LET M-" I hiss when I feel a prick in my neck. I start to feel suddenly tired, I try to keep my eyes open but they feel so heavy. I cry as I think of my friend.

"Lydia," I say before I pass out.

----

"I couldn't bring myself to go to the funeral, I-I couldn't stand all the looks of pity. I hate pity. But soon after I instantly regretted not going. I never got to say goodbye to my friend. I never got to say goodbye!" I say. I feel Xander wrap his arms around me. I grip his shirt and cry into his shoulder.