8 | rebellious group activity

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter eight
REBELLIOUS GROUP
ACTIVITY
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter eightREBELLIOUS GROUPACTIVITY└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

THE TEAM BLAZERS DON'T suit anyone. As Lena looks around at her teammates and uncomfortably adjusts her own jacket, she wonders why the hell Mr. Harrington couldn't have switched them to navy blue this year. She's all for primary colors, but instead of being a bold yellow, it's more of a creamy, washed-out shade that isn't flattering even on the very stylish Cindy Moon.

The girl in question nervously fixes her pin-straight hair for the fiftieth time since they'd gathered in front of the school bus ten minutes ago. Lena has been trying to ignore it, but the repetitive action is making her hyperactive nerves go even more haywire.

"Cindy, please stop or you're gonna make me have a nervous breakdown," she says with a sigh. Her hands go to her temples to massage away an oncoming headache.

"Sorry," the girl squeaks guiltily. "I think I'm having a nervous breakdown."

"It's okay," Liz sympathizes, though her hands are fidgeting as well. She continually switches the strap of her overnight bag from palm to palm. "We got this."

"Yeah, because if any one of you clams up, I'll swoop in and save you," Flash boasts casually as he leans up against the side of the bus, its mustard-yellow color clashing terribly with his blazer. He examines his nails indifferently even as the entire team turns to glare at him.

"We're doomed," Charles sighs. When Flash hears and turns his head sharply toward the freshman, he ducks behind Sally to buffer any oncoming attacks.

Lena exhales a slow breath and shifts her weight uncomfortably. Her parents had forced her to wear something other than her usual graphic t-shirt under her blazer— rather, she's wearing a cream-colored knit sweater that creates a decent insulator in combination with the yellow jacket. Her legs are clad with black leggings for comfort on the bus ride, black Converse on her feet. The only attempt she's made with her hair is pinning a section out of her face.

"Hey, it's Peter!" Abe exclaims, making Lena's head snap up in confusion.

Her eyebrows crease upon seeing that Peter Parker is, in fact, running toward the bus at full-speed. He's not wearing his blazer — he'd had to turn it in to Mr. Harrington after quitting — and is instead dressed in a blue flannel and denim jeans. He's frazzled, eyes half-wild with urgency and apparent lack of sleep.

"Peter?" Liz questions, speaking for the entire team as she inclines her head in confusion.

"Yeah, I was hoping maybe I could rejoin the team," he speaks with his words running a mile a minute. He shifts his weight nervously as he glances at Liz, keeping his eyes firmly locked on her as if he's afraid to look at anyone else.