forty-five

45

VIOLA BENJAMIN

"HELLO! IS THERE A brain inside that skull of yours?" Genevieve taps Viola lightly on the back of her head, an exasperated expression morphing into her makeup covered features

"HELLO! IS THERE A brain inside that skull of yours?" Genevieve taps Viola lightly on the back of her head, an exasperated expression morphing into her makeup covered features. She sits on the edge of Viola's bed in a tight faux leather skirt, a makeup brush in hand as she enhances her natural beauty with the products that lay beside her.

"Gen, it's really not that big of a deal." Viola mumbles, wrapping a caramel coloured cotton cardigan tighter around her body. She leans back onto the headboard of her bed, legs stretched out in front of her as she crosses her arms over her chest. Viola twiddles with the ends of her curled chestnut hair, occupying herself by separating the many strands.

"It was one kiss, he wasn't asking for your hand in marriage!" Genevieve grumbles when Viola replies with silence and the mere shrug of her shoulders, her lips strewn shut as she rolls her eyes. Genevieve flails her arms, accidentally dropping the eyeshadow palette she was using on Viola's carpeted floor. Viola sighs and moves to clean up the mess, waving off Genevieve's sheepish look and onslaught of apologies.

"Look, I'm not ready for anything serious and that kiss could've given off mixed signals, I don't want any part in that." Viola puts the broken palette onto her desk and ignores the multi-coloured stains that now blended in with the cream carpet. She slides into her desk chair and continues to watch Genevieve stare into a small makeup mirror, applying layer after layer onto her face.

She looks up, "but it's Benjamin Green! The kid's a Roman God for crying out loud!" Genevieve whines.

Viola only rolls her eyes, crossing on leg over the other. "It's not that big of a deal." Genevieve snarls and picks up a single canvas shoe from the floor, throwing it at her best friend. Viola huffs dramatically, barely catching the flying footwear before breaking out into a fit of soft giggles, shaking her head.

"Well either way, you won't be able to fend him off for long. You look hot, even in all your princess prude glory." Genevieve gestures to Viola's outfit, a number that consists of her comfiest pair of skinny jeans and an oversized cardigan, black canvas shoes adorning her small feet.

Viola scoffs before her bedroom door is slowly pushed open, a series of squeaks and squeals sounding from the rusted bolts of the door frame. "Please, take your time. It's not like I'm waiting or anything." Finny grumbles from outside the room, crossing his arms over his tight chest as he leans against the doorframe.

Viola suddenly finds interest in the floor, nibbling on her lower lip as she fiddles with her fingers and listens to her brother continue on.

"It's always the friend. It couldn't have been someone I don't know? Or sugar daddies, come on. What happened to every girl wanting a sugar daddy? No, it just has to be the brother's friend." Finny rambles on and Viola looks up timidly, Genevieve sporting an apologetic expression. She only glares in return, ready to sock her in the eye for opening her big mouth as the almighty tell-tale. She notices the guilt that swirls in her grey eyes, regretting ever opening up to Viola's brother about the boy who seemed completely hung up on a girl he barely knows.

Clearly that guilt didn't last as long as Viola would have hoped. "On the bright side, he could be a bad kisser and no one wants to date a bad kisser." Genevieve snickers and Viola leans over, smacking the back of her head and ruining the pin straight style of her light brown hair.

Finny gags dramatically, doubling over in mock disgust. "Just hurry up." Viola grumbles mockingly as both Genevieve and her brother walk out of the room. On her way out, she moves the scarf covering her mirror over a little bit, a useless action as barely a hair could even be seen. But it was an action that comforted her.

hopefully i'll see you tonight?
[8:32pm]

oh yeah, can't wait
[8:35pm]

woo
[8:35pm]

She gives the covered mirror one last look and with a sigh, she leaves the room.